Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Speed Surprise : 6 x 1k

Overcast, cool and very windy morning around the Bay this morning. Overnight Sydney had a cool change and very strong winds. Continuing the chase for speed but was not sure what to expect even after the day off. Warm up 4k to Timbrell Park. Thought I would slip either side of 4 minutes and get a bit slower as the reps progressed. Very surprised at the result : 3.57, 3.52, 3.48, 3.52, 3.51, 3.52 (particularly as in the first half it was very exposed to the wind) and although I pushed hard they were very comfortable. A few more weeks and I could be down to 3.45's which is as low as I want to go.

Maybe the Lydiard theory (which I follow) does work - that is do a lot of base training and then when the speed sessions start the speed will come over a very short time. Really this only about the 4th session and in the first 2 weeks ago I struggled around 4.08.

1 comment:

Robert Song said...

Of course Lydiard works. That sub 3 at Canberra is looking good.