Sunday, March 31, 2019

Canberra walking marathon: 6.05.08

My wife and I drove down from Sydney on Friday afternoon in light traffic. It only takes an easy 3 hours. At about 8pm the heavens opened up with heaving rain and a strong winds. From the hotel window it did not look pleasant and there was a thought that if it was like this in the morning I was not starting.

However Saturday started still and dry. Although there were some ominous clouds. So it was a start. Only only rained heavy once and really heaving about an hour into he event. I was soaked and thought if it continued then hypothermia was a real issue.

It stopped and blew over and there was from then on a light breeze and sun and the sun increased at the went. I a few hours I was dry. 

It was a walking marathon that was always going to long and a real challenge for a non walker. It was part of a walking festival that are held world wide and there are some very serious (meaning fast) walkers who make it look like a stroll. The rule is no running. As my running friend said as the start - when you have to walk you want to run, when you are in a run event you want to walk. So true !!!

I am not a walker and I do not practice it. I walk with my wife but that is a stroll not a race walk. 

I did run maybe in total 2/3k when I felt I had to engage some running muscles to relax the walking muscles however that did not start  until 24k and then it was only about a 100 metres when I thought I needed the change. Pleased to complete it in 6.05 - I have 'run' some slower than that.

I am easing back into the usual routine with marathons on the next two weekends. 

Clouds and misty at the start and the sunshine later.






No comments: