Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wednesday: 10k

Another day with about 20 degrees and 80% humidity just after 5.00 am however there was very light breeze and some refreshing light rain that for a short while was quite heavy. The breeze and light rain did cool the running conditions but once started it was still uncomfortable but manageable.

I have just finished reading this book by Roger Robinson:

https://picclick.com.au/When-Running-Made-History-by-Roger-Robinson-English-132628459334.html

The writer is married to Katherine Switzer (Boston Marathon fame) and was/is a world record holder  in some longer distance vets races. He reflected when he was training for a World Masters event that he imagined a Japanese runner who he gave a name to also training for the same event. He imagined his imaginary competitor up early and training hard. This inspired Roger to also get up earlier and train harder.

That image has been in my mind for a week or so since I finished the book. It was having the same imaginary competitor that got me out the front door this morning and I hope will continue to get me out the front door often and to train harder that I might other wise have done. BUT always train wisely as well as hard. 

Following on from yesterday's 3 x 5k I decided that maybe I should keep the intensity up with a hard 10k. A nice result is to run it under your age in minutes. Exactly a month ago I ran a 10k and was pleased with 65.50. That was comfortably under my age. This morning I was really being greedy and secretly hoped for under 60 minutes but realistically thought it would not be achieved with a second 5k fade.

The first was a bit too quick in 28.50 and so I know it would be a real challenge to be under 60. Ran as smooth as I could and balancing not too fact and not too slow. 57.56 !!! Pleased that even on very tired legs I have made significant gains in the last month. 

Could under 55 be a possibility in a month or so ?



No comments: