Sunday, April 07, 2019

07.04.19: Newcastle Marathon

We drove to Newcastle mid afternoon on Friday and so had very pleasant Saturday around town and at the beach.

The weather was warm on Saturday and it was expected to be warm on Sunday and that was the case. Daylight saving ended on Saturday night so a 6.00am was sunrise. We were staying not far away form the start and I walked to the start and it was already about 19 degrees.

Soon after the start there was a beautiful sunrise over the ocean. 

It didn't take long for the the weather to warm up. The course was 3 laps of 14k and most of it was unshaded. I have no complaints about that - it is what it is and it is the same for all runners. 

I had not run all week due to many commitments. I therefore knew I was badly out of condition and in particular over the second half as my endurance fitness. I knew it was going to challenging because  of the lack of fitness and the weather : result just a few steps under 6 hours. I thought I might be a bit quicker but life is fall of dreams ....





2 comments:

Anne Victor said...

Hi Ray,
You finished the race and that's the main thing.

Good luck at Canberra next weekend, if you are running it, as I imagine that you will be. :)
Kind regards,
Anna

Eagle said...

Hi Anna

It's April and its the Canberra marathon. It has been like that for a long time - yes running it for the 20th time.