Monday, April 15, 2019

Canberra Marathon - more

There have been manta course changes over the 20 marathons I have run here. The new course takes in many parts of the old course and in particular it run through the old finish twice. It was weird running through it and in particular with no other runners around me. 

If you have run the old course you will know there is a long up hill run along side of the park. Just as you reach the end of it there is a marker for 42k a right hand turn and then the finish line in in sight. On the second lap I walked that section recalling the time in 2002 my emotions ran near their highest ever for me as I know that I had less that 200m to run to get that first sub 3. 
I walk and recall that finish that is still clearly in my mind. The very first Canberra marathon finish I unfortunately have no memory of it. 


That walk was a welcome break but it also gave me time to reflect and It brought back some wonderful memories of many past finishes.

I also ran my 100th and 200th marathons here.

In particular my first sub 3 in 2002.

4 comments:

Anne Victor said...

Hi Ray,
Absolutely amazing! Well done! I know how much you love Canberra. I was there when you completed 100 marathons. You must be nearing 300 marathons by now, if not more.
Kind regards,
Anna

Eagle said...

310 to be exact !!! 300 hundred at Sydney in September surrounded by family and friends and given special treatment by the organisers.

Anne Victor said...

Ok, sounds like 400 coming right up. You are a machine. :)

Ewen said...

That's a great photo Ray. Well done on keeping the marathons ticking over.