Friday, April 16, 2010

Usual 20.3k : 1.41.54 and another PB

Training is training and racing is racing. So you don't race yourself in training you train at the right pace to have the desired affect on the body so that it can with rest adapt and you get fitter. However if you are coming from a slow base (as I am) then as your base building starts to take effect you will naturally get quicker over the same course when the same effort is used.

That will happen with the law of diminishing returns applying as you start to reach your peak fitness. That means that a greater effort in training is required for small gains.

It seems I have not reached that stage of base building yet. That pleased me for two reasons: Firstly I still have room to get quicker but how much I am not sure but with about a 90 second improvement since 9 April (the quickest before today) I would say there is still a bit to go.

Secondly I thought I might have peaked too soon as the focus marathon is mid June. If I had of peaked then unless I backed off then my times would have starting going backwards and that is not happening.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hi Ray, it is great that you are recording such terrific times. It sounds like you have your training very much under control. All the best. Rob