Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It had to come - a slow run

Monday was public holiday for ANZAC Day. In the afternoon I smashed myself at the gym for a few hours. I do go but not often and rarely recorded here. Mostly working on leg strength for the hills in some ultra's later in the year. It a pleasant place as gyms go, high on a hill with wall to ceiling windows over looking the water and the Bay run to the west.

It is pleasant as the sun sets and the sky turns those wonderful sunset colours.

Well back to Tuedsay morning. Did the usual 12k loop and was pushing as hard as I could with a slight hope of getting under 55 sooner than I expected. I do not look at my Garmin often while running and only looked at where I usually do. About halfway and 30 odd seconds slower that the PB time and I could not go quicker. Mentally eased off for a 58.15. I few weeks ago I would have been very happy - today pleased knowing the smashing I gave the legs Monday afternoon.

I am away in Melbourne for the rest of the week however I will fit in the usual Wednesday morning with JD. Probably not under 30 as I will run with JD. I may not post again until after the marathon on Sunday.

I am looking forward to it. I am ready and am very happy where I am at with the training. I still have a little way to go and have not tapered etc for this one. I still will push it as hard as I can and expect that will be 3.35 - 3.40 however it could go pear shaped and be well over 3.45 or all things could click for me to sneak under 3.30. I will start of with the hope of running 1.45 even splits. It wont happen but that is the plan.

If I fail it is not the plan just I was not quite as race fit as I thought with really a minimal taper.

2 comments:

Samurai Running said...

All the best with the run Eagle.

Ewen said...

I hope it goes well Ray.

It's shaping up as a good weekend - perfect weather. They had over 200 volunteers at the meeting Tuesday night so there should be plenty of support out on the course.