Sunday, October 02, 2011

Lap of the Lake Marathon: 3.37.18

A Saturday morning marathon for a change. 

A perfect running morning. The 8 degree start temperature for the marathon was about right for the start of the marathon. The clouds kept the sun away and the rain also stayed away. 


It is around this time of the year for the last few years I have acquired an injury that prevents any quality training for the GNW in November. I planned to run conservatively and thought around 3.55 would be close to the finishing time. I started off with Blue Dog and we agreed to keep the pace well controlled. We banged out the first 17k together with the 5k's being all 26.xx. He then started to move ahead but only by about 250m and it stayed that way for a couple of laps.

I was feeling very good and comfortable. I then increased the pace just a notch and then ran the remaining 5k splits in 25.xx. 

A nice 1.49.58/1.47.19 negative split for 3.37.17 finish. Only the second under 3.40 this year, this being #12 marathon for the year. It was a pleasing run. I kept the pace in control for the first 26 k or - I felt fit enough to run quicker but I have done too many of these to know that will usually result in a slow down in the second half the trick seems to be to know when it is time to push harder and that usually just results in maintaining the pace. That is the, the effort increases but the pace does not increase - it is a matter of trying not to sow down. This one I managed that and it therefore a very satisfying run.

Yes it is 8 laps. Last year I found that mentally tough. This year that was not an issue. 

Next Saturday is the Fitzroy Falls marathon in the southern highlands. About 90 minutes drive south of home. It is almost all on trails so it will be a struggle to get under 4 hours. But I will be pushing to do that. I last ran it in 2008 and was last under 4 hours in 2007 with 3.56 but that was the year I ran a 2.58 and I am not as fast now but maybe have more strength to cope with the off road running.

1 comment:

Anth said...

Ray,

Great to see you still pumping out the marathons with regularity.

Best of luck for C2K. I'll be following the updates with interest.

cheers,
Anth