Monday, May 23, 2011

It happens - buggar

Bugger a slight issue with the left hammy!!!!!

Now that I think back despite Friday's run being slow something just didn't feel right in the left hammy. I thought nothing of it the rest of Friday and Saturday I gave it no thought because there was no twinges, tightness etc. Sunday was the 25k at SMC and I was ready to push hard.

I even did a light worn up before the start and there was no issue. Started well and settled into a nice 4.30 pace which was the plan. About 2k into something was definitely not right then within the next half a k I could feel there was an issue. At the top of the hill you turn right and it is at least 8/9k before you get back to the same position. That's a long way to do some serious damage OR I could pull out and get back to the start without too much trouble.

A quick assessment of the messages I was getting from the hammy, the question do I need this run if the chances are I am doing some damage that will definitely stop me from running a marathon next week or can I stop now and start recovery. I don't often DNF but the decision at this time was easy.

Pulled out and got home ASAP to begin the RICE treatment. I am no sitting here at a time a little later that when I would be out the door training. Instead I have an ice pack on the hammy.

No more running this week and fingers crossed that about the marathon. Air fares etc are all booked so I will go but it maybe the first one a walk and the first road marathon I have ever done over 5 hours. But in the circumstances that all I can do.

The previous 5 weeks of training have gone so so well. It was just perfect and I thought with all the base training a few speed sessions would be okay. I am absolutely shattered that I am in this position when I had the training to post a some good times.

6 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Well, that's why I take one day off a week and also do two or three easy runs per week. Not saying that definitely would have prevented your problem, but possibly....

In any case, it was very smart to pull out of the run. I don't think you did serious damage so several days rest should put you right for the marathon. You have a good base, so will not lose fitness in just a few days.

Eagle said...

TokyoRacer
I agree with what you say. I was aware I was pushing to the limit. We are all wiser after the fact. All I can do is salvage what I can Thanks for the comments.

Lynda said...

Good luck with the marathon Ray. You training has been going so well. You definitely did the right thing to pull out of SMC.

strewth said...

Ouch, that is very disappointing. I know all about hammies! Rest up and hopefully you will run a great marathon with well-rested legs. Best of luck!

Robert Song said...

I find as I get older I really have to sneak up on the speedier sessions.

That base training has not been lost though. Hoping for a quick recovery for you.

Samurai Running said...

If I wasn't such a gentleman I'd swear! I don't know the answer here but it definitely is a test of your character!

Hope you can salvage something Eagle.