Saturday, June 27, 2009

CR 5k Challenge

I haven't pushed a 5k since I ran this in 19.35 or so at the end of April. So I really thought on present training paces that around 24 would be the mark.

I arrived just in time to see the 23 minute group off. Oh well I would start with the 22 group and just let them glide off into the distance. The Garmin was not on to GPS so I had no idea of the pacing. Ran next to Warren my mate from the Summer Series. The first k always feels tough because it is always run too fast - it felt tough but a 4.15 was insane.

I eased off in effort and just relaxed and wanted to glide along using a little effort as possible and without losing too much pace. 2k in 8.30 was a sup rise. It started to get tough and it was necessary to concentrate on effort and relation. 3k in 12.40 - I was now starting to doubt the accuracy of the watch as the pace was too quick and the bear would soon jump on my back and I would be reduced to jelly.

I pushed much harder through that very difficult 4th k and arrived at the marker in 16.55. A quick calculation - well nothing come from it it was hurting too much and the only thought was to get this over as quick as possible and with as little pain as possible. That meant no insane sprint just a controlled sustained effort.

Relief with the finish and a very very much out of the box 20.55. Just goes to show sometimes it is impossible to predict a race outcome.

I now have a sniff of a 3.30 at GC. And my thinking now is start off just behind that group and see if I can hold it or crash and burn as the 3.45 and maybe 4.00 groups gobble me up and spit me out in the last 10 k.

2 comments:

Mark said...

well done, i can see a 3.29 happening. I just happened to stumble on your blog and been following it closely for the last 3 weeks. Very similar to my experiences and pace, although im 36 so very impressed!. shooting for 3.15 in the m7 to hopefully get to boston (attempt number 8 and still 8 minutes short :) all the best for the next 2 weeks. Mark

Robert Song said...

Not a bad last K there.

It just shows that you have retained a lot of the fitness from the big base build for Canberra. Then again you will need every bit of for a good Marathon time.