Monday, August 23, 2010

Mudgee Marathon : 3.38.51

I went to a book launch Saturday afternoon at Paddington. So Jane and I didn't leave until 5pm and we had a pleasant drive up arriving just before 8.30. We went to our usual pub and had a light meal while watching the election results. Where there was no result on the night or yest.

It was a clear still morning but very cold. We had to scrap the ice off the car window with credit cards. However it was perfect weather for running and within 30 minutes the conditions were prefect with the sun becoming stronger. With the shock wave treatment on Thursday the Dr just said take it easy. I didn't tell he I was running a marathon. I thought take it easy could mean run steady.

With that in mind I did not have a Garmin and just wanted to run how I felt. I did feel good and the Achilles was really not an issue although it was render from the pounding given it in the treatment. The course at 10k begins steady climb to 15k and then a very sharp up, down and up again before 19k. I ran that steady but firm. My experience in this course is to get that section done with as little damage to you as possible so that you have plenty of running for the second half that has a lot of undulating sections but more down that up as you return into town and the finish.

It took me to about 25k to recover both mentally and physically from the climb. I then ran my quickest 5k between 25/30k in 24.08. I then held onto 5.15k pace from there tot he end.

Splits were 1.49.51 + 1.49.00 for a 5.11 over all average.

Got to be pleased with that because I do not train anywhere near that pace. I believe that if yo have significant base then on the day it is possible to run at a faster pace relying on that base. Late this week it is off for a few days skiing. The the following weekend the Glasshouse 100 miler. I am looking forward to that and my only aim is to come close to last years time of 27.23

5 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Very good effort off not so much training. I would not tell the doctor about the 100 miler either....

Johnny Dark said...

Can't fault those splits Ray.

Well done.

JD

Jon in Tokyo said...

Great Effort. Well done!!!
Gotta get me some of this 'Shock Treament'.

Superflake said...

Good splits Ray. Much better than GCM last month. See you at Sydney.

Ewen said...

That's good Ray. Also encouraging that the achilles wasn't a problem on a hilly course.