Friday, September 23, 2005

Hard day and aggressive : 23k : 1.46.30

Same course as Tuesday - twice around my long Bay run which at the start has some rolling hills. Then a long flat section of 5/6 around past Timbrell and the canal - along hill up past the swimming pool then a monster through the Shores units. Ran it on Tuesday in 1.52 with average heart rate of 148 which I thought was fine. Felt very good this morning after a rest day so thought I would run it as aggressively as possible.
I have not really been able to run this way since late March. I pushed as hard as I could knowing the end part is tough. Ran the first half in 53.18 which was over 3 minutes faster than Tuesday. I though the second half would be very ugly and very slow so I gritted and push on for the second loop. It was a struggle to hold form and to run firm but managed the second half in 54.12 - the minute slower almost wholly lost in the last k up the last tough hill.
Pleased with the holding of the speed in the second half. By the way the average HR was 157 which on my figures is about 93% of MHR so no wonder it felt like a very aggressive run. No twinges no injuries.

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Great news re the lack of twinges and injuries Ray!

Melbourne's looking good :-)

Superflake said...

Excellent run Ray. Good to see the legs have finally settled after so long. See you Sunday.

Robert Song said...

An awesome back up run after Wednesday's run.

I am interested in how you determined your MHR. It seems quite low but I appreciate it can vary between individuals. For me 157 HR is under 85% MHR but 93% is 174 and after running at that rate for 23 k you wouldn't see me backing up for another go after only one rest day!