Monday, April 11, 2011

Canberra Marathon : 3.47.xx

I looked at my training diary and it was 28 February that the hamstring twinge was felt and it never really come any where near recovered until the last few days and then I didn't trust that it was in fact fully recovered. That meant that since 28 February I ran only about 18 days and most of that was no more than a slow 7k. It was only in the last week that I was able to get the distance up to 14k and the pace anywhere near okay.

So no run over 14k in about 6 weeks did not give me a lot of confidence about finishing the last 12k without a meltdown.

So I started of with my mate Horrie with a 4 hour bus. But as there were no committed passengers (we had a few joined for a k or two and then left moving off into the distance) and we ran a bit faster than pace. A four hour marathon is about 5.40 per k pace and we settled into 5.25 pace.

That was the pace that I held for the first 30k. I was watching the 5k splits but they where all between 27.05 and 27.30. I am not sure what happened at about 30k as I thought I had another gear to move up to - it was tough but I was comfortable and thought I could push harder and get into the uncomfortable space.

So as I passed the 30k maker I pushed hard. I though that would be a bright start for a while that would fade and I would drift back and be re-passed by those runners I had just foolishly speed past. Thankfully I held on an completed that last 12.2k in 5.15 pace. It has been a while since I have finished so strong with about a 115/112 split.

Short summary: where did that come from !!! Back I won't spend anytime trying to answer that. I will just enjoy a good marathon with the hope that there are some better ones to come during the year.

5 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

That's the interesting thing about the marathon - you never know what's going to happen. Usually the news is negative - nice to hear a positive story. Well done!

Johnny Dark said...

Sounds like you may have turned the corner Ray. Well done.

Samurai Running said...

Canberra is your race Eagle! I think it was you mind pushing you to those heights last weekend.

All the best with your continued speed and health.

Ewen said...

You looked very comfortable Ray. Got to say I didn't expect you to run so well with all that 4-hour talk. Great negative split! Looks good for fast times in future marathons.

Superflake said...

Well run Ray. You got through it.