Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Back running again and training

It was a false recovery in mid March. The hamstring improved and there was a further issue that required more and more rest and treatment. So there was very little running in the last 2 weeks of March except for a couple of very slow laps of the Bay that were done more to stay connected that anything to do with running.

The progress since the start of April has been pleasing but I now have huge negative thoughts in my mind about running too quickly or too long and causing a further injury and an already weak hammy. So I am enjoying running regularly again but most of the time my mind is filled with negative thoughts waiting for the stride that will result in another tear of the muscle. I guess time will allow the risk of injury to recede as well as those negative thoughts.


So what have I done in specifics - just the briefest of information but the clear picture is that even with a significant injury forced lay off it does not take long to get some moderate pace up but I suspect the endurance will take much longer.


Friday 1 April

8.5k @ 5.32 Average HR 130
It was not the first time out as I had run slower the day before. The running was not twinge free.

Saturday 2 April

Morning 8.5k @ 5.22 AHR 136
Afternoon 8.5k @ 5.01 AHR 145
I am not sure what happened in the afternoon but I was running how I felt and did not look at the Garmin until the end. It was a suicidal pace and could have caused an injury. I was very lucky to get away with it. I intend to watch my pace much more closely.

Sunday 3 April

12.16k @ 5.31 AHR 127
A slight increase in distance and the hammy held up well.

Monday 4 April
14.5K @ 5.28 AHR 133
Another slight increase in distance and ever so slight increase in pace. All systems held together well. Pace up HR up.

Tuesday 5 April
Same 14.5k @5.24 AHR not recorded
Slight increase in pace which was just luck not planned.

Wednesday 6 April
Same 14.5k @ 5.10 AHR 140
I did plan to push hard and it felt like it !!

Not what you would call a taper week before a marathon. But I am not trying to catch up for lost training sessions. I know my body after a break needs a few sessions to start to move back into fitness. It seems to hold up okay to the increased activity being exerted after the break.


Any decent time at Canberra on the weekend will not even be possible. A good time might come later in the year. Probably at Gold Coast if the preparation goes well before it. Canberra - all I will be doing will be running to get a 3.59.xx finish.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's good Ray. Will look out for you. 3:59 will put you near my long run training partner Ruth.