Monday, September 20, 2010

Sydney Marathon : 3.52.39

I did no running at all last week after GH. I thought I needed more recovery that training for this one. So the first running steps in a week were as the gun went off.

Sydney turned on another picture prefect day for running. I decided to run alone and just enjoy my own company and thoughts despite being surrounded by a couple of thousand other marathoners. I did take in the run over the bridge at about 7.40am which is usually the time I drive over it in the opposite direction to the College of Law most mornings. I noticed quite a few others take the time to look around as well.

The course was changed from previous years but I had not bothered to look at a map. I thought I would allow the surprises to unfold on the day. It was an interesting course and I thought we saw more of the city itself. The weather was also very pleasant and the temperature did not rise as high as in previous years.

I was hoping to run under 4 hours and thought maybe the legs would fold in the second half. However I was still prepared to run the first half under 2 but not by much. I went through in 1.54 and the patiently waited for the wheels to wobble and then fall off. I took a risk at about 22k when I pushed harder with the effort but without any gain in pace. I knew if I did not make a very positive effort to increase the effort the pace would definitely fall away.

Even at that stage by just holding the pace I was already passing people who had gone flying past me earlier. It does give you boast to be passing and not being passed. While I was prepared to suffer the increased pain with the effort I thought I would continue it for a long as I could. I seemed to gets some slight wobbles around 32/36 and thought they would then fall off. But when 37k marker came up I got the scent of the finish and managed to up the pace or at least the effort.

Second half in 1.58 for a4 minute second half slow down.

The time might not have been fast. However it was quicker than I expected and I felt very strong in the second half and so it was a very pleasing marathon. It gives me some confidence that my endurnace base is good although totally lacking in any speed but then again I do no training for speed.

That makes 11 marathons so far this year with at best another 4: Sydney Regattta , Melbourne,Marysville and Woodford Bush Marathon.

5 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Nice one Eagle. You really are amazing, how you keep pumping out quality runs!

TokyoRacer said...

Yes, your endurance base is definitely good! Very nice effort.

Ewen said...

Good one Ray. Sounds like a better course to enjoy those spectacular views. Hope Melbourne puts on the same sort of day.

Superflake said...

Good run Ray. Nice back up from GH.

Jon in Tokyo said...

Well done. Good stuff.
Will watch out for you in Melbourne.