Monday, September 13, 2010

Glasshouse 100 miler : 28.47

Not as quick as I expected but I am satisfied with the time. I am always happy to finish a 100 miler no matter the time.

The weather was just about perfect and the course conditions very good except the large pools of mud were bigger and more of them. A mate slipped into one as he was going around it and got stuck up to his waste.

Although my time was slower than last year and as expected it seemed most runners were slower than last year despite the good conditions. Also to avoid some really bad mud an extra 4k was added. I ran some sections much faster than last year lost time through taking a wrong turn early and then being very cautious in the night by going back and checking course marking when I had not seen one for a while.

These three little adventures added a lot of time but that is party of trail running. But is is difficult to stay focused for so long and sometimes you run on automatic pilot and can't recall the last time your saw a course maker and then with horror recall you have passed a few forks in the track and just run on without checking for course markings .... then you go back to check you are still on course. That's so annoying but you would be surprised how often in an event it happens.

For some reason I had some stomach issues at about 80k and did not eat much after that. Also despite wearing the same shoes and sock combination I got a couple of blisters. Usually I get none.

I feel good now and whislst I could not run now or for most of the week my legs feel very good. I had to appear for a cleint in Court this afternoon and I think I was able to enter and leave the Court without looking like I had run 100 miles over the weekend !!!! Although my walk was slow.

The aim for the rest of the week is to get the small blisters healed and recover well for the Sydney Marathon on Sunday. It will be my 10th Blackmores Sydney Marathon. Yeah!! Their sponsor Skins send me a free pair for the upcoming milestone.

4 comments:

Jon in Tokyo said...

Fantastic effort. Well done!!!!

TokyoRacer said...

Yes, the Sydney Marathon sounds like a perfect recovery run. ... He says, shaking his head in disbelief.

Superflake said...

Good run Ray. See you on sunday for the recovery run!

Ewen said...

Good on you Ray. That's one big day (and a bit)!

Enjoy Blackmores, and the new Skins.