Sunday, March 06, 2005

6.1 : Longish run : 26k : 1.59.15 PB for the course

After some months of hard training the results from a couple of key races were slower than expected. I thought I needed to consider my position and kind of regroup at this late stage of the preparation. My conclusion about the 2 races were that I just went out much too fast and then lost it badly - I didn't follow my own advice about even pacing but then again the pace I went out at was the pace that I thought I could hold - that certainly was a bad misjudgment on my part as I could not hold the pace - I considered that my fitness and speed was faster than it really was - it is marginal but when you get your pacing wrong my times show how they are affected notwithstanding your fitness.

Anyway I thought I would run my usual 26 k run so that I could test my fitness against a known distance. I decided that I would run it conservative to start with and then push hard in the second half. The weather was very kind at 5.00am with it being very cool and indeed little humidity for the next 2 hours.

Result was pleasing - I have run this run about once a week since the start of December and my best was 2.03.30 run in the second week of December, Since then it has blown out to 2.06 or so with just the last couple of weeks coming back to 2.03 +but not the PB of December. This morning 1.59.15 was a considerable improvement. The reason for the improvement : the weather one and some conservative running to start and then a strong finish. This morning run and time returns some confidence to me that my fitness is there and that I was not running wisely in the last two races.

So in the next 2 races - SMC 30 and the Striders 10 expect to see me lagging behind at the start.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

Well done on the run Ray. Glad to see you are on track for the sub 3 at Canberra. Good Luck with your 30 at SMC.