Saturday, February 05, 2005

10.2 : 10k TT : 38.29

The intensity of the training is starting to increase as well as holding distance established last month. For February the weekly the k's should be around 125 unless there is an important race on at the end of the week when a short taper is required and so the l's may drop but the intesity of the k's done will increase.

So after a tough week decided to do a 10k TT on tired legs to see what they had in them - yesterday was heavy on speed and so they should have been a bit tired. Ran my usual 5k course but when I got to the end just turned around and came back . Thought I would struggle to hold 4.00 k/m pace so was surprised with splits of 19:12 + 19:17.

I don't run 10k races often and think the last one was in April 2002 when I ran exactly the same time on a tougher course but with a taper. In fact it was the week before I ran 2.58 in the Canberra Marathon - so when I ran it I was 2 weeks into the final taper and much fresher than this morning. So today's time on tired legs gives me a good indication that I maybe in the same (? better condition) as April 2002 and I still have 10 weeks of training to go before the 2005 Canberra Marathon.

No comments: