Monday, August 19, 2013

Wagga Wagga marathon: 4.59.06

It was a beautiful drive down from Sydney Saturday afternoon. The sun shinning the sunroof open and easy driving particularly past the Canberra turn off. Past there the rolling hills are green dotted with grazing sheep and cattle.
 
As usual the 'Gentleman's Club' at Wagga and the pre race dinner was very pleasant. I was made very welcome and my absence over the last few years was noted by a few.
Even with an 8.30am start it was very chilly with clear skies and some building clouds. However the clouds disappeared and it was perfect running conditions and stayed that way. The course in parts has changed since I last ran it and they have reversed the direction. That made it more enjoyable as the 'town' part was all over by 10k and then it was trails, tracks and bush. Lovely running and quite technical and challenging in sections. I took it easy and was pleased to sneak in a 4.59 finish.
As regards providing a good preparation run for GH in a couple of weeks it was perfect. I did make it harder on myself by training hard on Friday and Saturday morning and notwithstanding that was able to run the whole distance except for some short steep hills between 10 - 15k.
 
I feel pleasantly fatigued this morning and expect I will be out for a very gentle run and stretch tomorrow morning.  Mudgee marathon next weekend and the 2 weeks to ease off before GH. Fingers crossed the plan that has been in place for about 2 months will work.
 
I am certainly fitter and marginally lighter than I have been for quite a while.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Good to see you and K on the Saturday Ray. I loved the course too - would have been very challenging for marathoners on the single track coming up to 30k.