Monday, August 26, 2013

Mudgee Marathon: 3.33.45

What a way to finish the 9th. With how I have been training it was either going to be good or very ugly. Thankfully is was fantastic run in itself and a very pleasing time. Was about 30 seconds off the best run of the 9 on a course that is not easy.
 
It was an absolute perfect morning to run a marathon. The temp was just above zero at the start and it felt like it with fog with the forecast for it to warm up quickly - which it did. The hard decision was how much to wear. It would be nice to feel pleasant at the start but it was certain that it would become  warm quickly. I opted for tights and short sleeve top and that turned out for me to be the perfect choice. Although with numb hands and arms for 30/40 minutes was not that pleasant but manageable.

I know the course well as this was my 11th Mudgee marathon having missed just 2. The climb from 7k to 18k is never ending and near the end brutal on the legs. But having survived that it is a combination of rises and falls with more falls to the finish line. It is a challenging course.

I was not sure what would happen but being my 9th marathon in 8 weeks I was not sure if fatigued would be the issue and the back half being a struggle or somehow I would have strength and finish strong. One this was for sure I was not at the start line to cruise this one. It was one that I was going to run wisely but as hard as I could. I wanted it to hurt in the second half and face that challenge on bot the mental and physical side.

Short version: ran through the half smack on 1.49 and that was the first time I looked at my watch as up until then I was running on feel. I was not sure how the second half would go but the only way to find out was to up the pace to 5 minutes k's and try and hold that - a bit quicker on the down hills and pushing the up hills. It was tough all the way but there was a line of 5 or 6 runners in front of me (all but one female). They gave me something to chase. I was not looking at my pace very often as I now wanted to run to a set pace no matter how difficult that was and not run as I felt.

The k's were clicking over quickly but never quickly enough. The pleasing thing was that I was holding the average pace. Second half 1.44 for another 3.33 finish. Fastest Mudgee marathon for 5 years. Got to be pleased that.

The hard preparation for GH 100 miler is now finished. 10 days of combined recovery and taper
.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Great running Ray. Well done.