Friday, August 23, 2013

Reflections on 9 marthons in 8 weeks

This journey will end on Sunday with the Mudgee marathon. It started with the Gold Coast marathon on the 7 July. It has been a wonderful journey with absolutely no physical or mental issues of backing up weekly for the marathons and off course the double weekend. The idea was conceived in early June and was put in place as a way of providing very short term goals leading to being the best prepared for the GH 100 miler on 6/7th September as I could.

The risk has always been an injury but that has not occurred.

I reconnected with a running friend in late June and that has had a significant affect on keeping me very focused and consistent in training. That meant I have trained hard between marathons with no taper and generally a 14k run on the Saturday. This will will be my biggest week before easing back as a taper for 2 weeks. This will including the marathon will be about 130k. In regard to the preparation it has come just at the right time.

I have been able to train about 70k a week in 4 sessions and then the marathon. Despite that I have always felt fresh for each marathon and been positive. I wonder how much better I might have felt with a taper. However by tapering for each one my training would have been light and while I respect the marathon and the physical and mental effort that goes into each one I run they were not the focus although M7 in the middle gave me a 3.33 time and the best for a few years.

I will miss the travel and the weekly focus and will now have to be satisfied with a focus being on loner events with greater time between each. 

I ran today my 19k loop. I started off doing them on the 2 July and have done at least 2 a week. The times started off around the 1.45. With some a bit slower and not many much quicker. On Wednesday I ran it steady for 1.49. Yesterday I pushed for a 1.42 and my quickest to date. Today I pushed again it felt easy, I should be very fatigued - 1.39 and I would say the preparation for GH is as best as I could have done in the time. 

Mudgee- anything under 3.55 - it wold be nicer to be closer to 1.45.

No comments: