Sunday, August 04, 2013

Brisbane marathon: 3.52.09

I am sitting at Brisbane Airport waiting for my flight back to Sydney and wondering how I held the pace in the second half.

I knew I would have to be conservative for at least the first half. I settled into a pace that felt comfortable and one I thought I could maintain for the entire race but was not looking at the Garmin as I was going on perceived effort. At about 10k I was surprised to be catching the half marathon pacer for 1.55. I decided that I was not going to pass him no matter how good I felt as I thought even that was too quick but if I had done any damage in being too quick it was already done.

Stayed with him until he went right for the finish and I went left for the second lap. Like a few marathons in the last few weeks I did not expect to be able to hold the pace but decided to settle into a 5.30 per k pace and see how long I could hold it. The second lap I was watching the Garmin closely and found more often than not I was running at 5.15 or quicker pace. I kept backing off so that I would not burn brightly and then extinguish before the finish line.

The 5k splits from 20k just kept clicking over in the 27.xx and stayed that way to the end. The fade as expected just did not come. It was tough going but I felt in control the whole second half but was ever so pleased to cross the finish line.

Splits of about 1.55/1.57. Another week of recovery/taper and in Melbourne next week for the Tan marathon as well as catching up with my daughter who lives there and the Monet exhibition.

No comments: