Monday, July 28, 2014

M7 marathon: 3.29.31

3rd sub 3.30 in 4 weeks of 4 marathons in 4 weeks.

I struggled through the whole race. I never felt comfortable from the start and it stayed that way to the finish. I wavered between feeling uncomfortable to very uncomfortable. I started off just behind the 3.30 pacer who I know well and expected that he could keep and even pace so I was happy to be behind him but I did keep a check on my pace.

I started off with a pace that would get me to a 3.30 finish and just kept working hard to maintain the pace. 

Through halfway in 1.43.30 and just perfect time.

The plan was to stay with the pacer until about 30k and then assess where I was at and what I could do. The 3.30 group seemed to slow significantly on the way up a hill at about 31k and it was then that I decided I needed to be in front of the group and run my own pace and set my own rhythm.

I was then in clear space and on my own. Set my rhythm and headed for home. I was never confident on the way back that I would be under 3.30 and with k markers I was doing some maths every couple of k's and it seemed I was hanging in but it was close. It would just take a slow k on one of the hills and I knew I would not be able to get it back.

At 40k I had just over 11 minutes to make it. Clearly made it with a a second half of 1.46.01 moving from 62nd at halfway to 31st at the finish. As I have said before I am not sure where this form has come from but I will take it. The M7 course has not changed since it's start 7 years ago and this is my second quickest except for the first.

An easy weeks before a marathon next weekend on Saturday and Sunday. I will very much ease of the pace but still with the aim for both to be under 4.00 but that might be difficult on the Sunday.

1 comment:

TokyoRacer said...

You're consistent! Seriously, 3 out of 4 under 3:30 is damn impressive.