Monday, July 07, 2014

Gold Coast Marathon: 3.26.43

Very pleased that the plan came off and I got under 3.30 as I was planning and hoping for.

Sunday morning on the Gold Coast presented perfect running conditions. I last ran a sub 3.30 marathon 5 years ago and whilst I had not quite given up the possibility of running one again it did for years consider that it was never going to happen.

Lets look back at some recent history:

2009     Canberra          3.17
2009     Gold Coast       3.25
2010     Canberra          3.25
2014     Gold Coast      3.26

All my marathons have been over 3.30 with the best being 3.31 at Macleay Rivera few weeks ago.

All week I was getting myself mentally ready for the pain I knew would happen when I started out at a pace that I have not started at often in the resent past and I know it would not get any easier as the marathon went on.

With my illness I now have a very strict eating plan that does not on the face of it appear to be of any help to an endurance athlete but I believe it assisting my health and so the wise and careful selection of the food I now eat takes priority over feeding to run.

A slight negative split and all 5k splits 24.xx.
 
First half 1.44 @ 4.56 per k pace
Second half 1.42 @ 4.51 pace
 
So a long sustained push for home from halfway.
 
For those interested in the finer details:
 

I thought my eating plan would cause my downfall over the second half but no I just felt stronger as the race progressed. Just 2 GU's during the run and off course fluids at the drink stations.
 
This was my first year on the +65 age group and with the winner last year running about 3.23 I thought when I finished it might get a top three. No only 5th with the Japanese winner running 2.52 WTF !!!!!. then a 3.13 and that looks more like it and then 2 at 3.25 and me. Next 3.40. 
 
My next BIG focus marathon will be Melbourne in October and maybe a better place in the age group in that one and maybe I have to find a 34 minute improvement between now and then.
 
Recovery, training and taper all in a week to be ready for the marathon in Sydney next week.






4 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Nice run, Eagle. Well, you were the No. 2 Australian.
The Japanese was the legendary Hosaka, holder of many world records. From Japan Running News of last Sept.:
"Men's 59+ world record holder Yoshihisa Hosaka (Natural Foods AC), 2:34:23 at age 59, 2:36:30 at age 60, 2:38:12 at age 61, 2:46:30 at age 63 and 2:46:17 in July at the Gold Coast Airport Marathon at age 64, will be running next month's Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon in pursuit of the 2:42:44 age 64 world record."
I don't think he got the 64 record and don't know if he has the 65, but obviously he is still running well.

Anonymous said...

Inspirational! Well done :)
(CR - unicron)

Jon in Tokyo said...

Well done. Great effort.
I am running Melbourne as well. See you there.

Ewen said...

Good race Ray. You looked well in control when I saw you at 30k.
Yes, as Bob said, Hosaka is the 60+ world record holder, equivalent to about a 2:07 marathon age adjusted.