Monday, July 21, 2014

Hunter Valley Winery Marathon: 3.35.xx

Well I did't start at 3.35 pace. I was a bit quicker but it finished up being a 3.35 marathon more by luck than precise execution. 
It was a perfect morning for running. The temperature was around 10/11 degrees at the start and compared to other years that was warm. The marathon is 2 loops and often the wind comes up a bit in the second lap and that combined with THE HILL and the other long inclines always presents a challenge on the second lap to maintain the first lap pace.

My best over the last 6 years has been 3.40 and I set out challenge that by running freely in the first lap and see what I could do on the second. It was not a race plan of even splits a I wanted to try something different although I knew that would result in fade more than usual. I was hoping I would no be an embarrassing fade with a walk/stumble/death march a the end.

Short story - 3.35 finish with about 1.45/1.50 splits. At 35k I had 34 minutes to get home for a sub 3.30. It was always going to be a struggle with the long incline just after 35k and lasting ?2k. No excuse but then I ran into the back of the 10k runners/walkers and I was slow down/speed up pass/weave some more run of the track to pass more - you get the idea. I am very much a rhythm runner and this over the last 4k was not what I can handle well.

No complaints - that is what happens an I suspect I was not going go under 3.30 anyway.

I have to say I am more than pleased to run what in all the circumstances is good time and much better than I have generally been running for the last few years. Then M7 Marathon next Sunday which is a relatively quick course but I am not sure how I will hold up with the 4th in 4 weeks.

No comments: