Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Gold Coast Marathon thoughts ….

Not long until I run my 16th Gold Coast Marathon. How fast have the years gone ? I still remember the first one in 1998 and was only my 8th marathon ever, I was 48 and ran it in 3.16.

I cannot 16 years later run a 3.16 but I will have my eye on maybe 3.32 meaning I have added a minute to my time each year. Maybe just under 3.30 and the first time for that in a long time. I have had a few weeks off running a Sunday marathon so as regards me I am about as fresh as I will be for one until then Melbourne Marathon in October.

Read that to mean that between now and then I have a marathon planned for all the weekends except a few where none are being held or I am at GH. 

The training in the last few weeks has been steady but the usual speed I have at this time of the week before a marathon that I ma rested for is not there. Nothing I can do about that but a sub 3.30 marathon is not just speed but overall pacing and what endurance/stamina you have to hold a solid pace over the last 12k. I managed to do that a few weeks ago with a near even paced 3.31 and that was on a flat course similar to GC.

Hopefully I have maintained my fitness and less so speed but the endurance/stamina aspect although being overall slower will clearly be an issue. Any way crash and burn or success I will start of with a 3.29 finish in mind and run at that pace and will as always just have to see what happens on the day. 

The thought I have at the moment is that I am rested and some marathons you just have to give it you a all both physically and mentally. At the moment I am working on the mental preparation.

No comments: