Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Two days two marathons: 4.25 and 3.46

Two days, two marathons, two different results and feelings. 

Saturday  was the Bridge Walk Marathon that is a very low key event aimed at raising money for a charity and most of the entrants are walkers although they tolerate us runners. 

I felt slow and was. I felt fatigued and 6 minute pace was too quick and I could not sustain it for more that the first few k's and then really struggled the whole way despite it being very flat. It was through a lot of wetlands on a cycle path and board walks at times.  Then the last 12k or so along Morton Bay.

I finished in 4.25 and was pleased to have a very tiring and really unhappy run over. It was a struggle most of he way and was so pleased to finish but I was concerned that if Saturday was like this Sunday could be much worse. There were no positive thoughts flowing after this run. 


 Wetlands

 Bike path


Low tide on Morton Bay - finish in the far distance on the right - loooooong way 


I did  what I could overnight to rest and recover.

Sunday was the Brisbane Marathon with 650 starters as well as the company of the half marathoners  for half the distance. I felt fresh with no stiffness and decided to start off with a pace for a sub 4 finish although I thought that would not happen but it would be a nice challenge to see how long I could maintain that pace. 



I stayed just behind the 1.55 half pacer for the half marathon. I felt I was running within myself but near maximum effort. I felt that was not going to continue in the second half but then again that is why I run marathons. To face such a challenge and see what I can do mentally and physically over the next 2 hours or so. If it was easy it would not be such a challenge.  

The half marathoners finished to the left of the first lap and the marathoners went right for the second lap. I was between the 3.45 and 4.00 hour pacers and on my own with the marathoners well spaced out. For reasons I cannot explain I was feeling stronger the further the race went on BUT was waiting for that final step you take running and then without a conscious thought or decision you start walking. I kept thinking it could come at anytime and was really working the mental side hard to stay positive. 

As usual at about 30k I was in a position to know the really hard part was starting. I was still feeling good and decided that I would up the effort so as to just maintain my pace. I then started passing other runners rather easily. That is so positive and so the next 12k's just rolled by without a thought of possibly walking. 

The stats back that up. In the 20/30k split I was 191st in time. Between 30/41.1k split I was 85th in time. I finished overall 135th so I was much quicker over the last then my over all position. Amazingly I was 3rd in the 60 - 69 age group and just 30 second behind 2nd.

A week off before marathons at Wagga, Mudgee, Melbourne and Dubbo in consecutive weekends, the the following weekend at Glasshouse 100 miler and the next weekend the Sydney marathon. So a busy time ahead. 

No comments: