Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mudgee Marathon: 3.35.37

Mudgee put on an absolute glorious day on Sunday. It was about 9 degrees at the start and that is much warmer than the the usual zero or below. There  was some early light cloud but by mid morning it had gone with the warming sunshine evaporating the clouds


Last week I slowed really badly in the second half and was wondering if It would happen again. I ran through the half in just under 1.47 with the hardest section over. There is along steady  climb from 10k and It is not over until about 19k. Then a long and mainly downhill run to the finish although there are many rises and falls. The falls do not help, as the race progress the speed generated (if any) by the falls seems to be never to be enough to compensate for the slowing ion the inclines. 

I kept waiting for the pace to slow and the fatigue to set in. As each k went by and the pace was being just maintained. As the race progressed towards the finish  I was becoming more hopeful that it might not occur at all or much later than last week. 


In the end I did not slow and finished in 3.35.37. Only a minute or so slower than last year. Happy.

No run today but I will ease back into a slow trot around the Bay to embrace the pre dawn. Next week the Tan Marathon in Melbourne. Many laps but I don't mind that. It is historic and I enjoy the challenge of Anderson Street hill. It will be steady on just either side of 4 hours. The following week is the first Dubbo marathon so I have no idea about the course but that should be steady as well to ease into the Glasshouse 100 miler the following weekend. Just all about survival for the next few weeks. 


        

No comments: