Friday, June 27, 2014

Just some more brief reflections

Apologies in advance for an old bloke going down memory lane. After I wrote yesterday and as I was out running this morning (this is the wonderful sunrise this morning again around Bay)



I thought I might look more globally at what I had run in regard to ultra' and realised I had forgotten the mother of all Coast to Kozzi or C2K for short. A nice little 240k run from the sea to the top of the highest mountain in Australia.

2010 Attempted and withdrew at 156k

2011 Finished in 43 hours 44 minutes (I will never forget that adventure and the relief of crossing the finish line well into the second night.

2012 Attempted and withdrew 190k

The RD has strict guidelines just to be able to enter and then with more applications than places it is difficult for me to get accepted because I just do not run enough ultra's to rate a serious consideration. Last year I entered and was places on the wait list and then withdrew because my operation was a few weeks before the event.

I am not sure if I will enter this year as I fully expect to rejected or on the wait list and maybe I should just be grateful some close running friends hounded me for years to enter and I did not. Finally I did and am so pleased that even if it is just once I was able to finish.

Back to Glasshouse. I have entered 6 times and on the first time went missing but well after I was through the 100k checkpoint and so I have that and 5 100 mile finishes.

Great North Walk. 8 starts with 3 100 mile finishes and 4 100k finishes and a DNF.

Ewan asked how old I was when I ran under 3 hours for the marathon at the Gold Coast. The finishing picture is in the Blog. It was 2007 and I was 58. I will never forget that last 20k hanging onto a 4.15 minutes per k pace and finishing in 2.59.40 gun time. 

Running has brought me some wonderful experiences that I will never forget. I have also shared some unforgettable moments with other runners and sometime that sharing of a race or part of seems to bond you to that person for ever. My life after beating the booze 17 years ago has remarkable. When I was in rehab & detox I could never have imagined or dreamed i would be where I am no.

It almost all has to do with my running and the unwavering support I have had from my wife who never failed to see the good side of me even when I was in the deep depths of booze addition. We have been together for 45 years as I meet her when I was in second year at Sydney University Law School and she was in her last year of high school. My how time flys.





1 comment:

Barry said...

Hi Ray ,I have just read the last 2 days and am envious of your achievements . You must be very proud to have completed in these events and achieved the very high standard that you set your self. It also must be rewarding that you have made many friends along this journey . Congratulations Barry