Monday, June 09, 2014

Back to the past: Macleay River Marathon: 3.31.49

Let's go back to marathon # 101 in July 2009 Gold Coast Marathon: 3.25.56.

This marathon is the next quickest and so to some extend the clock has been almost turned back 5 years - almost. It was perfect running conditions and I know the course well this being my 11th time running this marathon.

I was not sure how fit I was and certainly I have not been doing any exceptional training for some months. Just out most mornings although on some weeks much less than I would like or want. And this was marathon number 3 in 3 weeks so I could have expected some fatigue.

But I did want to run a good time and I knew that meant starting aggressively. That I did although I expected that would put me in a position where there was a real likelihood of a slow down because of the combination of the fatigue from 3 in 3, the pace itself being too quick for my fitness and just not have the stamina because of inadequate training. The aim was to run as close to and just below sub 5 minute k's for as long as possible. If I could hold it I would be around a 3.30 finish.

I turned at halfway at 4.58 pace which was where I wanted to be but expected the slow down to occur soon and dramatically. Anyone who knows the course is aware it do absolutely flat along the river except for the first and last 7k where there are some small inclines that seem insignificant at the start but take on a different character on the way back. In particular the last 1.5k has a very significant hill that is always testing.

I was maintaining a pace of 5 minutes per k in the second half but just. So my over all pace was ever so slightly creeping closer to the 5 minutes and I know that would put me over 3.30 but I know that I have run a lot of 3.33 marathons and having put I this effort to 35k I desperately wanted to hold on and finish quicker than 3.33.

Thankfully I did hold on and there was a very large smile on my face as I was running down the finishing chute knowing I would record under 3.32. Still smiling.

Now spending a few days in Nimbin with my family before heading back to Sydney late in the week and then travelling to the Glow Worm Tunnel marathon next Sunday.

3 comments:

Prof said...

Unbelievable... nothing more to say Ray. Congrats!

Ewen said...

Great marathon Ray - you're defying the aging clock.

Jon in Tokyo said...

Well done. Great time.