Friday, June 06, 2014

Macleay River Marathon: thoughts

Sunday will be the 11th time running this marathon and it may well be my favourite event. It is low key, the course has not changed in those 11 years, it is flat and really is not that scenic although it is mostly next to the river. 

I suppose it has a special place for me because I have run a sub 3 and have some other good times but off course time is not the only aspect of an event for it to be a favourite. The finish is very pleasant and it maybe the atmosphere at the finish line and how most runners stay in the area and cheer on the finishers that perhaps makes it special.

It has a positive feeling for me and I am hoping that translates into a good run. In fact me 3.33 from a couple of years ago is my best time in the last 4 years. It would be nice if I could give that a serious challenge. I am not sure I have the fitness to do that but I think I will for this marathon start out at that pace and see what happens. 

It can get very lonely as there are not a lot of marathon runners and they soon spread out. So you are soon in your own space but that means you can run your own race instead of watching other runners and running their pace. 

Quietly confident I will enjoy the run but let's see about the time. 

No comments: