Thursday, June 26, 2014

Reflections on the last 5 years

A new age group and perhaps time to reflect on running since I turned 60 in June 2009.


 100th marathon. In April 2009 I ran my 100th at Canberra in 3.17. In July that year I ran Gold Coast in 3.25 and I was slowing but much too quickly for my liking. Then the all started to slip over 3.30 but at Canberra 2010 I managed 3.25 again but unfortunately I have not been below 3.30 again. Although a few weeks I ran Macleay River marathon in 3.31 which was my quickest since 2010.


Maybe this year I might sneak just one last one under 3.30. Gold Coast in a week or so might be a good chance. It is flat and I have not run a marathon in a few weeks so for me I am rested.


Great North. I have always entered the 100 miler. My last 100 mile finish was in 2008. Since 2009 I have not managed to get to Patonga. I did not enter one year due to injury and another I DNF'd at 80k otherwise 3 finishes at 100k for the last three years and that is treated as a DNF because I entered the miler. I suspect my days of entering this event are over in in particular because it now clashes with Glasshouse.


Glasshouse 100 miler. I have only missed this event once since 2007 when it clashed with the Sydney marathon. In 2007 I got hopelessly lost after 100k and wandered around for hours in the dark. When the sun came up I knew east from west etc and was rescued not far from the finish but on the wrong side of the road that cuts the course into east and west. Yes I should have been able to read the starts but i have no idea about that. Since then I have finished each 100 miler except as I said in 2012. I had a nice streak going and am now back to a streak of one. I will be back again this year.


Sydney Marathon. Home town and special. I have managed to run all since 2001 and am a Blue Line Legend for doing so. I am kind of proud of that achievement along with about another 10 runners. I will be back again this year but as often been the case in past years I am at start line with a 100 miler in my legs from the week before. My time is never great but so far I have managed to keep them all under 4 hours. 


Half marathon. I rarely run one as I run the marathon instead. I run a half when I run the monthly races with SMC. My best in the last 5 years is 96.38 in April 2010. I have during this year got back to under 100 at SMC and I hope that can continue for a while.


10k. I run these less often that a half. A training run (if that counts) in July 2009 in 44.15. I must run another serious 10k to see what I can do with lowering that time for this age bracket.


5k. Only run in the measured course around the Bay. I used to get practice when there was a 5k challenge each month. But it has probable been years since in was on and I attended. Training run of 20.41 in April 2011 but again even in training I don't run them. Like the 10k I should do another serious one. 


Bay run. The lap is about 6.92k and the challenge is to run under 30 minutes. I was for years running it with some mates each Wednesday but i have not been for a while. Mid last year I managed 28.57 and a number under 30 since but none this year because I have not been attending often enough and in shape to run that time. 

200th marathon. It should happen at the Canberra marathon next year but it means I must 26 this year and then a few next year.11 so far. No injuries or niggles and fingers crossed that continues. The cancer is being treated and for the moment it is not an issue. 


Time has gone so quickly and I suppose it is valuing my health and fitness as it is at the moment and continuing to do what I enjoy until cannot whenever that will be. A long time from now I hope. 

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Thanks Ray. Hope you can run the sub-3:30 at the Gold Coast. See you up there (half for me). How old were you when you ran the sub-3?