Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sydney Marathon and recovery.

Well the Sydney Marathon was the worst time have run this year: 3.52.27 and did not really reflect what I think is my fitness level. I set out with the intention to run close to 3.30 as I could. I reached halfway at 1.45.16 which was perfect but I had already began to feel that the second half was going to be ugly. That was true with it being a wobble at 2.06.49 and it felt much slower than that.

I have some ideas about what went wrong mainly that three weeks before the marathon I significantly changed minute should plan. I did that various reasons that I don't need to go into here. I was aware that there was less emphasis on carbs and in the last few days before the marathon I did not change and so I suspect I went into the marathon short of carbs. Resulting in my second half blowout. I think I just miss judged how depleted on carbs I was.

The week after the marathon was just steady recovery runs. My usual hilly 14k loop was run last Sunday and managed 69.19 & 4.59 pace for a few seconds PB. I had no intention of doing that I just wanted a medium length session and I didn't have a lot of time to do it.

On Monday I resumed the shorter quicker sessions at Timbrell Park just off the Bay run. Rach and I did 2 x 2k and 1k together. 

Today, Tuesday I did the same loop, pushed hard all the way and was rewarded with another PB of 68.16 @ 4.54 pace. I was not aiming for a PB but just wanted to run it as firm as I could. Tomorrow is our usual hot lap of the day but I will slightly modified to run with Rach for 5K only and will see whether we can get under the PB we said to her last week of 21.57.

The Penrith Lap of the Lake marathon is on Saturday. I'm not really looking forward to it are running at is all part of the necessary continued foundation building for the big ones later in the year.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Sorry it went pear shaped Ray. I was really expecting a sub 3:30. Hope Penrith today was a better experience.