Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pre marathon update

Just over 3 days to the marathon and I am excited. 

In the short time I had since my last marathon less that 3 weeks ago I set out to add some speed sessions and increase my LT and hopefully make getting closer to 3.30 a bit easier. I have added the speed I was hoping for but I am not sure if that sub 3.30 will happen but I have enjoyed the last couple of weeks as a pleasant change to long and slow.

Pre dawn last Friday my usual 14k loop in 69.20 for a PB. That gave an indication my training was having a desired effect. By mid morning I was on a flight to Townsville with my wife and daughter to visit my eldest son.

No running on Saturday or Sunday but some challenging bush walks. 

Monday morning I was doing some 2k sessions through some cane fields. Nothing quick just enjoying the change in scenery and running in warm conditions. Late Monday back to Sydney.

Tuesday the 5k around the Bay in 22.50 and slower than a week before so I was a bit disappointed after the easy days.


Wednesday is my usual 'hot lap of the Bay ' with a couple of buddies. It has been a weekly session for years. When I am fit with some speed then getting just under 30 minutes for the 6.92k run is a good mark. When endurance is to the fore and no quick sessions have been done then about 31 is the mark. Since my last marathon 2 weeks ago I have been focusing on increasing speed.


Last week was 29.56 and I was surprised that the sub 30 come with just a week or so of increased speed sessions. I was not sure what would happen today as yesterday's 5k was a bit off the expected pace. Today for the Bay lap 29.20. Quickest for about a year. I can do no more than what I have done to give myself a chance of staying with the 3.30 bus quite sometime and maybe to the finish.


It does matter but I will not be concerned if I miss the time. I have enjoyed the last couple of weeks of shorter quicker sessions instead of the long runs. 


It's been a busy week work wise. I have been working out of the St Leonards office of the College for 11 years. Our team over the weekend moved into the city. I now have a nice view    from my desk of the northern end of Hyde Park with the harbour and heads in the distance. 





1 comment:

Ewen said...

You're in good form Ray. I reckon you won't have a problem staying on the 3:30 bus. All the best.