Sunday, June 13, 2010

Macleay River Marathon : 3.34.02

As I said in an earlier post I planned to run with JD for as long as I could. Well it just did not happen. He got away at the start quickly and soon moved a couple of hundred meters ahead. By 10k I was 30 or so meters behind after pushing a bit faster that I really wanted to.

I eased back and he was away and ever so gradually pulling away the further we ran. When that started to happen I settled into a steady pace that was about 10 seconds a k faster than what I knew was able to be maintained for the whole race but I was contend to have a firm 25k or so. And really that is what happened with a steady fade in the second half but no where as near as much as Williamstown and that was pleasing.

Williamstown was splits of 1.44/2.04.

Macleay was splits of 1.43/1.51 - so I was just a bit quicker in the first half but held the second half much better. And it felt like I was moving quicker in this one which was right. So the 13/14 minute improvement all came in the second half. Maybe the 100k a few weeks before Williamstown did have a residual affect on the time.

That gives me some confidence that with some smart training sessions between now and Gold Coast and a race plan for even splits I should be able to get back under 3.30.

The Achilles was a minor issue for 3/5k and then become just an irritating throb. I pulled up very well overall.

3 comments:

Ewen said...

Well done Ray. I want to see you at least matching Tesso at the GC.

Samurai Running said...

Not too shabby Eagle! You must be happy with that! Yes, give Tesso a clipping at the CGM!!

Superflake said...

Good run Ray. Much better run than Williamtown. Hope Gold Coast is even faster.