Sunday, May 20, 2007

SMH Half : 89.27 Yippee!!!!

I decided on Wednesday night that I would have a serious run in this event - that is try for a sub 90 but I really thought with all the k's in the legs and no speed work 93.xx was more likely. So the only training I did was NO RUNNING on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

That gave me no idea of whether running under 90 was possible. Also I have not had a serious attempt at a sub 90 half for 2 or so years. Although I was close to 90 for the half at Canberra but I had done speed work and tapered for that. The race plan was simple - run as even as I could with the forst half on the slow side. This course is had to run even because of the hills but as even as the course allows.

I never saw and k markers and so I had no idea during the race how the pacing was going. There were some clocks out on the course but I wasn't sure at what distance they were at and anyway I was not mentally able to do the maths and run. I was really just running on feel and going as fast as I dared keeping as close to the lactate threshold as I could.

My splits are from another runner who ran with me - 5k splits: 21:21, 21:14, 21:06, 21:31 - looks like the 10k's in 42.35 and 42.37 - I will take that as even!!!

Chip time of 89.27 and very very happy.

7 comments:

Superflake said...

Great run Ray. Good to see you still have some pace over the shorter stuff without trying for it.

Robert Song said...

Congratulations on the good run.

Makes you wonder exactly how much speed work is required to run a good Half or Full marathon.

I have always considered it the icing on the cake and it is the miles in the legs that gets you there in the end.

Tesso said...

Argh! Just typed in a comment and it threw me out.

Congrats on a great run in the half. I'm not sure how you run so perfectly without a watch though am keen to try it some time.

Samurai Running said...

Great work Eagle,

I thought you'd get under 90mins.
Thanks for making me right. Doesn't happen that often.

Jen said...

Sensational Ray - congratulations on a wonderful result.

Ewen said...

Yes Ray, you can call that even ;)

A great result considering your heavy training of late. I think I'll try the 'Eagle 3 day off' taper next time I race a half.

Good to see you on Sunday, and run that last kilometre or so with you, Horrie and Norma.

Well done again - I know what you mean by 'running on feel' - it'a a great way to run.

Horrie said...

Just proves that you have still got it Eagle. Does not surprise me at all.