Sunday, March 18, 2007

SMC : 30k 2.09.36 @ 4.19 pace

An overcast morning at Smithfield. Temp about 19 with humidity about 70% - which is a lot more pleasant than the last few runs.

This was a serious hit out to asses my present fitness and consider what if anything can be done before the taper to improve it. If I want to run under 3 for Canberra the I need 4.16 pace - I did not think I could do this as I had just 3 easy days before the run. However I expected that 4.24 must be possible in the circumstances. Last month I ran 25K @ 4.30 pace so fitness should have improved so that I could run faster a longer.
It is not an out and back course and so none of the 5 k splits are run twice and measured from the same points so it is difficult to run even and each have hills. So even splits is not realistic but notwithstanding that my splits were all around 21.15 which is spot on pace with one in the middle with 2 hills at 22.40. That additional 90 seconds was the difference between the 4.19 pace run and the goal pace of 4.16.
Taking that all into account it was a run that indicated that sub 3 is possible but with still a little do to sharpen up and then a genuine taper, proper carbo load and a smart race plan.

5 comments:

Rob said...

Whow Eagle! you have to be pleased with that effort. It looks a very impressive and positive indicator for your reaching your marathon goal.

Samurai Running said...

That is really an excellent long run. The taper and race plan will be the cream on the top.

Most people with that run at this stage would be engrving their name on the sub 3 trophy, or at least writing it in pen.

Tesso said...

Fantastic result for the 30k Ray. I'll be watching with interest your approach to the next three and half weeks, maybe I can learn something :-)

Superflake said...

Great run Ray. Looks great for Canberra at sub 3hr.

Ewen said...

You said it all Ray. Just have to get the next few weeks right and then 'on the day'.