Monday, December 03, 2007

Some thoughts for training to Canberra Marathon 2008

By my calculations yesterday was 19 weeks to the Canberra Marathon and time to start thinking about it and planning some long range training. Last year I used a program that got me under 3 in Canberra in 2002 but it didn't do it for me in 2007. I felt I had good speed but not enough endurance to hold on for the second half. I then changed my program to one solely devised by me on a daily basis by in theory following the LYDIARD base building phase.

That is I ran long and often at the highest pace I could manage but within the aerobic range. That seemed to work because in July I was under 3 hours. Since July I have run too many marathons too close together to have any real program other one of taper/recovery. I slight calf strain put the end to any real training during the second half of October and then it was GNW and some recover after that and so I now find myself at the start of December and to get back into some serious training.

The aim for the next 2 months will be just base building. That is if I have a 3 hour marathon as a guide then that is 4.15 pace. All my runs should be in the 4.45 - 5.15 pace. With as few rest days as possible and instead of the hard/easy then it will be long/not so long. But that still gives at least 4 possible types of session with the 'easy' day being short @ 5.15 and the 'hard being long @ 4.45 and other combinations.

Lydiard thought the optimum distance to be run each week was 100 miles so lets say 160k but he did days with 2 sessions. I do not have the time to do that so it it seems that about 140k a week is about what I could expect to max out at. Anyway we will see how that goes for the next 9 weeks and then we will go further with Lydiard than I have been before and then incorporate Hills for 3/4 weeks and then move to some speed/sharpening a taper and we should be primed for the marathon. Lets see how it goes.

I will keep track of the countdown by starting each entry with a number worked out as follows. The Sunday will be the start of the week as the marathon is in a Sunday. Last Sunday was 19 weeks to go so today is 18 weeks 6 days or 18.6 with Tuesday 18.5 and so on

4 comments:

Jen said...

Interesting thoughts Ray. I'm looking forward to watching how it upfolds for you but I love the fact that you are willing to experiment, rather than just following the 'traditional' approach to training.

Anonymous said...

always interesting reading your blog Ray, i am interested in the lydiard approach i have read a little about his training but not enough.

coming back to running now after 3 months off with knee problems.

Ewen said...

The 160k/week was one sesson per day with the morning run not counted towards the total (or so I thought).

Lydiard's athletes were capable of 4:00/km, so around 80-90 minutes most days plus the long run. I'm thinking your 140k should be enough another sub-3 Ray.

speedygeoff said...

Ewen will pace you. He ran a 4 minute k the other day.