Monday, January 08, 2007

Gosford 12 hour track ultra

I went into this still very fatigued from the Black Stump run on Monday. I don't know the reason as I took that run easy but that's how I felt.

Had a very busy morning and so didn't get the planned rest that I had intended. Picked up my lap scorer, Will and we arrived about 6.15 to a very pleasant late afternoon. Most pleasing was the cooling breeze.

Got set up not really knowing what to expect running around a track for 12 hours. I had a race plan for pacing and managed to stay with it until the marathon which was completed in about 3.55. I then had problems staying alert and awake together with some minor stomach issues. Pushed om until about 1.00am when I made a decision that I needed to do something positive so layed down for a 10 minute power nap and did that on the hour at 2.00am and 3.00am.

Got back on the track at about 3.15am and had 4 1/4 hours to do about 35k to get to over 100k. Up to here I was averaging 8.3k per hour. I now needed to maintain that to the end. At that stage I did not think it was going to be possible however all my other issues seem to be gone and I entered the track feeling very good.

Then managed to fly for an hour or so and managed to run at about 4.45 per k pace - how I did I don't know but as many said on the said if you feel good go for it because at some time later you will not feel so good and will be reduced to s shuffle.

That managed to get me well in front of schedule and so I eased back and for most of the night I then ran very steady laps with Horrie. The pace was back to about 6 minute ks and manageable. I then decided that once I passed 100k as I was now reasonably certain I will I would stop having achieved that milestone on my first track ultra and save the body for some marathon training.

Continued running steady and the laps just clicked over very smoothly and as I have found once the morning breaks tidiness seems to disappear and it is replaced by renewed energy. Anyway ran with out a break from 3.15 am for the next 3 hours or so when I went past 100k in 11.20.40.

I was pleased with that result but a bit disappointed that I had the bad patch in the middle. However maybe it was for the best as I have pulled up with no injuries or blisters and will have a few days off (maybe) before the first post race gentle lap of the Bay. Then by the weekend I will start back on the program for a serious assault on the Canberra Marathon.

7 comments:

2P said...

Nice work on the ton Ray ;-)

Anonymous said...

hi ray, i have been reading your blog
for awhile, it is always an inspiring read. well done on the track ultra,
i/m also training for canberra as well.
good luck with the training.

coolrunner blueboy (vic)

Tesso said...

Great stuff Ray.

I know just from working night shifts that period from 1am until about 4am is a killer not matter how much sleep one has had. Guess we just weren't meant to be awake then, let along running!

Congrats on the 100k. And on coming out of it in tip top shape.

Horrie said...

Ray, you were able to pull yourself out of your slump and with a sensible race plan managed to easily complete the 100km. Now you know what is involved in a track ultra, you can go away and put a more comprehensive plan together and tear it up next time. Just like you did for GNW. Hope to see you at the Bay for Aunty K's midnight birthday run.

Bernie G said...

Great stuff. Take care and see you soon.

Will the Frenchman said...

Hi Ray, it was a pleasure lapscoring for you. You knew when to rest and when to pick up the pace. I'm sure those age group records are within reach next year.

See you at SMC.

Will

Ewen said...

Good on you Ray - although it didn't go perfectly to plan, you still cracked the 100k.

Looking forward to seeing your 'serious' Canberra Marathon :)