Thursday, January 11, 2007

Canberra Marathon 2007 and thoughts

I don't often post my thoughts but for various reasons I find myself doing a little personal reflection tonight. Personally for the last few months life has been hectic and emotionally there have been some huge highs and some deep lows. I now need a strong focus and training for the Canberra Marathon will provide that as well as hopefully correcting the disappointing times from the last few years. No 6ft Track is the first casualty and I will not be running it this year.

In the last two years at Canberra have been outright failures. This will be my 77th marathon and it has been a long time since I ran very decent time and it is about time I did it again. I just need one of those magic marathons where everthing goes right on the day and you know it is happening when it is happeneing - the k's just click over so so quickly, you don't get tired or fatigued and before you know it the fun is over and you have crossed the finish line.

At the Canberra Marathon in 2001 I ran 2.58, the following year I was injured and did not run, 2004 was 3.04 and then the two disasters in 2004 and 2005 that were both in the 3.20's. In each I started the race injury free and in good shape and then had an injury in the race but was able to struggle home.


Indeed it has been a while since I have been under 3.10 - Gold Coast in 2005 was 3.11 and close, before that it was 3.08 at Kempsey in 2004 and the 3.04 at Canberra earlier in that year. So really 3 years or so but with a 3.17 in Melbourne last year on very little training after the stress fracture. That gives me a faint hope.

Do I think I can go under 3.10 again - yes if all the starts are alingned etc. Do I think I could go under 3 again - well 6 years is a long long time and I have my doubts but others my age have done it. At least I have been there before - twice in fact so I know I COULD do it.

So I have dusted off my 2001 program and will start following it again and see what happens. I will not know how I am going until I go to
SMC and run each of the following runs hard - that is what I did in 2001 and so I will have a guide although the course is slightly changed but not enough to make much of a difference. It will be the February 25k that will be the best indicator. Also the CR 5k challenges are somewhat of a guide but absolute speed is not what is required - just how comfortable 19.00 5k feels.

On Sunday 14 January it is 13 weeks and just a perfect length of time to get into the best shape possible provided no injuries occur in that time. So a deep breath, cruise for a few days and then this Eagle is off on a 13 week journey and hopefully landing successfully at the end of the Canberra Marathon.

5 comments:

26miles said...

Looking forward to following the journey, Ray. Your looking very fit at the moment, so it will come as no surprise to me if you go sub 3hrs again - good luck !

Tesso said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

That's such an impressive track record, and your training looks to be going really well.

I am inspired by your 'never give up' attitude.

Think I'll put my hard earned on you going sub 3 at Canberra :-)

speedygeoff said...

News from the ACT M55s - yours truly (previous winner) is running but unlikely to threaten 3:20. But the evergreen Trevor Jacobs has just turned 55 and can expect to break 3 hours. There's a challenge!

Look forward to seeing you here in April, whether you are fast or slow no matter.

Ewen said...

Good luck for a soaring flight over the next 13 weeks Ray.

What you said makes sense. You have done it, as have others your age and older.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

PortRunr said...

Hope your training goes well over the next 3 months Ray. Missed you up at South West Rocks last year, but might see you in Canberra!