Saturday, January 22, 2005

12.2 : 5k TT : 18.16

Another Saturday and again thought I would do just a hard 5k - kind of a long tempo/lactate threshold run. It was not meant to be a TT but as I ran through 3ks I felt very comfortable and so thought I would push on - still felt comfortable at 4k and was very surprised at the time - first time I looked at the watch - thought I could do a good time so pushed very hard although it felt like I was slowing down a great deal - how wrong can you be. Splits 3.43, 3.42, 3.38, 3.39 & 3.33. PB by about 23 seconds.

I am surprised because I have not done any short intense speed work for 6 weeks or so - I have been doing 4.00 per k pace and slower - I am following basically the Lydiard approach. Endurance running to start with and only incorporate real speed in the last 4/5 weeks before the goal race. So Canberra is still 12 weeks away and I will not be starting the short intense speed work for another 7/8 weeks or so. Maybe at the end of that speed work I might just break into a sun 18 minute 5km and a sub 38 10k - ah dreams.

1 comment:

Clairie said...

Hope you achieve your dreams for more PB's....sounds like you are well on track.
Congratulations on the 5k PB RayJames. I hope to meet you before the run in Canberra because I certainly won't be able to run with you...so fast.