Monday, September 19, 2011

Sydney Marathon : 3.53.59


I said in an earlier post I would start out with the 3.45 group and see how long I could last. I think I was with them until returning to the city and then the expected happened and they disappeared into the distance. I was likely to finish between 3.50 - 3.55. Time 3.53.59 so as predicted.

Some useless stats of my 10k splits and rank over that split:
  • 52 minute split and ranked 1178
  • 54 minute split and ranked 1137
  • 56 minute split and ranked 928
  • 58 minute split and ranked 608
So each split got slower by about 2 minutes but I also improved my ranking over each split. A lot of runners were slowing down much faster than I was. My over all place was 862. My half splits were 1.52 and 2.02 being a 9% slow down. The winner had just below a 5% slow down.

The weather was a real issue. At the start it was a warm 18 and peaked at 31 just as I was finishing. We are told by the weather people it was 11 degrees over the average. Today has dropped back to average and woud have been prefect for running but not yesterday. I think the stats are about 20% of the starters failed to finish. With all of that against me I thought I ran a smart race. 

At EACH drink station I had 2 waters and one sports drink and one water over my head. I walk through each drink station and made sure the cups I pick up were near full. 

This is the 4th year that I run this marathon the week after running 100 miles the weekend before. My previous marathon times have been 3.56/3.50/3.52. In previous years the weather has not been such an issue but I went okay yesterday to be able to about as usual.

I ran in shorts and running singlet. I cannot understand why anyone at the start of a marathon in which the temperature is predicted to get very warm would start in long compression tights and long sleeve top and some had a top over that and in black of all colours. Do they use their brains or do they think it is some fashion parade. 

That cool change came just after I finished. A few hours earlier would have been much better. Any way I was home soon after finishing and by 1.00pm was in a resturant by the water enjoying a family gathering. My thoughts were with these who might have been still out on the course. 

Great organisation. I thought I delt with the conditions well. Maybe the previous 131 marathons gave me some experience to fall back on. Two weeks off until the next one in Sydney. 

4 comments:

Ewen said...

You just failed to catch Warwick from the Speedygeese - he ran much uglier splits - 1:45 and 2:09. Real shame about the unseasonably hot weather.

speedygeoff said...

Can no-one spell "Warrick"? (His parents couldn't spell "Warwick")

speedygeoff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ewen said...

Speedycheif, spelling was never my strong suit.