Monday, November 19, 2007

Update & GNW 2007 : 34 hours 55 minutes


I have not Blogged for a while because essentially there wasn't much to say about the preparation for this event. Most of it was done with the marathons run in the late part of the year.

I had no injuries during the year then had a major calf issue 4 weeks before the event. It was rested and then it was injured again 10 days before the event. In the month before the event I ran 3 times but managed a lot of walking.

I therefore started being very aware the calf could go at anytime and if it did that would be the end. It would not be possible to even walk any significant distance at the speed needed to make the race cut offs. So I started off very slowly and quickly watched most of the field disappear into the distance.

The calf held without a whimper to the 100k checkpoint but I was almost 1 hour 15 minutes behind last year. I finished last year with 1 hour 15 minutes to spare so I knew I needed to go no slower than last year to make the 36 hour cut off. Last year I took almost 16 hours 30 minutes and as I left the checkpoint I knew I needed to run each section faster than last year to make the cut off with some time to spare.

I was relying on the slower start to enable me to run the last 75k faster than last year. My focus changed from protecting the calf from injury to keeping the pace up at all times. I really had no choice my slow start had now put me in a tight time frame. It was no use protecting the calf if I finished after the cut off.


I left the checkpoint feeling well. I had no problems with food, hydration or blisters and I was confident that these would not be a factor as I was sure I could get to the finish - the question was could I hold a faster pace than last year. I was not sure but I had no choice but to push as hard as I could but balance that with making sure I didn't do anything foolish to end the race early.

I made it to CP5 (the next Checkpoint) almost 30 minutes faster that I was last year and so the distance between my actual pace and that invisible cut off line was getting bigger. This was run through the 1.00 am to 6.30am period - and usually have major sleep issues during this period. All I want to do is sleep and my pace slows as I drift in and out of sleep while trying to stay on my feet and run. I had no such problems this year.

The next section took just under 3 hours just under 15 minutes faster than last year. So what I hopped would happen - I was running each faster than last yea. The last section is about 28 k with the first 14k very slow because of the rises and falls and that took 3 hours 45 minutes. At the top of the last big climb there is a unmanned water drop and the group I was with rested for 15 minutes.

My running buddies from 100k or so RunBare,
Whippett, USA Phil and Tim (L to R)

There was 15k to go on undulating track. With 3 hours to go we knew we would make it so we savoured the last 2 hours with some easy running and happy chatting. Cut about another 30 minutes of the time from last year.

Finished in 34 hours 55 minutes - about 10 minutes slower than last year but I finished !!!!

It is a fantastic event with great scenery. Will absolutely be back next year.


6 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations Ray on a sensational result under trying circumstances - and what an incredible year you have had!

I hope your recovery goes well.

Ewen said...

I was wondering how you went Ray. That's a great effort to be just 10 minutes slower considering you nursed the calf for 100k!

I still can't comprehend an event that can go for 36 hours. Great photos - a superb view in the top one.

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the run Ray. And well done on nursing the calf for that long up and down those big hills.

sook54 said...

Go ray! I was wondering how you went, so glad to hear it all worked out for you. Considering the slow start you did magnificently.

Tesso said...

Huge congrats Ray.

What a fantastic result. Though I'm not at all suprised considering how dedicated you were to your training for this event.

Hope you are enjoying your recovery - a great opportunity to stop and smell the roses :-)

Samurai Running said...

Terrific stuff Eagle.

Just checked in, it's been a while.
Great photos, yes, there is no mistaking where you are with those rock formations and those trees.

Makes me homesick ;)