Sunday, July 01, 2007

GOLD COAST MARATHON : 2.59.40

This maybe a longer post than usual as it has been 5 years since I last ran under 3 for the marathon and I thought I might just reflect a bit.

Off course I am delighted but more surprised because while you never give up the hope of fulfilling a dream on occasions common sense says it will occur. This was my position for some years and even though my mind said common sense was right my heart would not quite let go of the dream.

After GNW in November I looked back over some of my training schedules and decided to follow closely the one I used when I ran under 3 in Canberra in 2002. I followed it almost exactly but if anything cut down on the intensity of the speed session and reduced the distance of the long runs. It gave me a 3.09 that was the best time I had run for many years but it did not fulfil the dream. I ran about 92/97 splits and considered that I had not developed enough endurance base to be able to maintain the pace over the second half. This also resulted in a slower first half than was needed to even go close to

After Canberra I decided to eliminate all speed work. That meant dropping the 3 x 3k etc that had been included in my program for while. I decided to just train day in and ay out with runs of various length but really never shorter than 13k and always aerobic. That meant somewhere between 4.30 – 5.00 minutes per k and for 3 weeks before the Herald half they averaged about 135 per week.

The first test for this training came in the came in May in the Herald Half that I think was around 89.30. This was a pace of 4.14 although no training had been done at this pace.

After the Herald Half there were another two weeks of 142 and 141. Again all the runs were in the 4.30/5.00 minutes per k range. I had developed a knee problem with a 65k run 10 days before the Macleay River Marathon

Eased of for few days in the week of the marathon and managed 3.03.53 with 91.30/92.23 splits for a 4.21 pace per k. I was not aggressive in pushing the pace that probably resulted in a time slower than what was possible.

The knee continued to cause problems but I could still easily manage 100 a week at the same pace but some were slower because of the pain. I have not done any speed work since before Canberra.

I was not sure of my fitness level going into the Gold Coast Marathon but I was sure of one thing - I was going to push harder than the previous marathon and ensure I got to halfway under 90 and then rely on the endurance I hoped I had built up in the last few months.

With that in mind I started just behind the 3 hour pace group and was watching their pace closely. It was just a bit faster that I would have run but it was comfortable and I went through the half in 88.19 which I was very happy with and I was feeling very comfortable.

But I know in a marathon you can feel that way and in a few steps be reduced to a wobble. It was now a matter of intense concentration on maintaining the pace as the fatigue become greater and greater and the temptation to ease off increased with each stride. Soon after the halfway I let the 3 hour group move away as I wanted to run my pace and not theirs.

It then become critical to maintain the concentration and I was then anxious as the 25/30/35 & 40 k markers came as they would be confirmation that I was either still in front of or was starting to fall behind that imaginary 3 hour pace line. At half way I had 1 minute 41 seconds in the in the bank. I needed to maintain 21.20 for each 5k split.

From 20/25 it was a 21.09 split and I had picked up a precious 11 seconds.

From 25/30 it was a 21.16 split and I had again kept ahead of the line by just 4 seconds. But the marathons starts at 30k and all I had done so far was get there on time as feeling as comfortable as I could have expected. The next 5k split is the hardest mentally on the course because it takes you to the turnaround at about 34k and it is so difficult at that stage to be running away from the finish and their seems a huge sense of relief as you make the turn and head for home.

Also you get to see the runners coming the other way and it seemed like the s hour group was a long way ahead and I thought I might have lost too much time. As I passed the 35k mark I was reluctant to look at my watch because my dream would either be shattered right there or it might be still possible. I ran past it clicked the watch and hesitated – the split 22.08 and I had lost a precious 48 seconds and was now eating into the time I had at halfway but I still had 1 minute and 8 seconds in the ‘bank’.

It was really now a matter of what would happen in the next 5k split. This was difficult to maintain the pace I could feel myself giving in to fatigue and then rallying the effort for a few more paces the then slip back and just wanting to slow down just so much. Is not a matter of just watching the runners upfront and staying with them because they could be slowing as well you must just relentlessly drive on. This time I needed the 40k marker to come and I needed to look at the watch as soon as possible because I wanted to get the uncertainty over with it was either possible or impossible depending on the split which was 22.20 and I had lost almost my whole bank and I had just 8 seconds buffer.

I might add that the 5k split times are in my head – I know them down to the second.

And the reaction – oh hell !!! I am in no mans land. I have just 9 minutes 32 seconds to cover the last 2.2 k and I know that to do that the pace must go up to 4.15 per k to cover that distance in 9 minutes 24 seconds. I begin to increase the pace from what has been the case over the last 5 k’s but not by much as I still have 2.2k to cover and I don’t want lactic acid too soon – I want it in the last 200/300 meters.

It took and age to get onto the road to come over the rise and I could see the left turn to the finishing chute. I had no idea of the pace and imagined that time was getting away but I was not sprinting yet too soon. I just wanted to get within sight of the finishing line and the clock over it. It was not use looking at my watch because time and distance were impossible to compute. I was into the finishing chute and expecting the time to have clicked over 3 hours. I then heard Clairie give a yell to say you can do it. That made me think maybe it was still possible.

I then sprinted with all the energy I had and absolutely no style but who cares at that time. The finishing chute has a slight curve and I needed to know the time it was 2.59.25 with about 70 metres to go and I knew I would make it. Then I could see one runner crawling over the line on all fours and another staggering with just meters to go so I though maybe this isn’t over yet. Some how I just focused and sprinted and thank heavens made it. I covers the last 2.2k in 4 minute per k pace. I guess it shows what can be done when it really has to be done.

2.52.51 gun and 2.59.40 chip.

I am now firmly convinced that too many runners include too much speed work in their weekly schedules and do not take the time to develop a strong endurance base – that is the Lydiard ‘marathon training’. Do the speed work but only as a sharpener close to some special event but it shouldn’t clutter up a program in the build up stage. For some like me it seems just plain marathon type training can give me very pleasing results. I am still reading on Lydiard’s theory and will give some detailed thoughts soon.

I have recovered well and the knee is not problem today. A few weeks’ easy marathon training weeks and I plan to run the Hunter Valley Marathon. That maybe fast depending on how I recover and the course. After that I will run some more marathons with a bit of luck I will make 11 for 2007 but they will form the basis of the training for Glasshouse 100 miler in September and off course GNW 100 miler in November.

20 comments:

azza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
azza said...

Awesome run, incredible time and great post! Thanks for sharing your story, it's going to push me towards Melbourne this year! :)

-azza

plu said...

Well done Ray. Pity I did not see the finish but I suspect my heart would not have coped with it.

I too am not a fan of speedwork and I think you are right about running the first half a bit too slow. Most people (unless youa re JD)no matter what slow down in the second half - more so if you are not doing enough endurance work.

congratulatons

MArtin

Samurai Running said...

Real happy to hear this news Eagle.
It must have been wonderful to hear Clairie say "You can do it."

Excellent report, I'm going to save it onto hard disc. Obviously you are doing things right and I for one will look at increasing my milage and not focusing so much on the speedwork sessions like I have been.

Still it all comes down to putting it together on the day and you did a superlative job on that front, congratulations!!!

I couldn't be happier for you.

Cirque said...

That's a truly amazing race report Ray, and incredibly inspiring. Congratulations on a fantastic, well deserved result.

Spud said...

Bloody fantastic, I'm delighted for you Ray. Go Lydiard....go Eagle.
Speedwork schmeedwork :)

Awesome, catch you at the longer stuff later in the year.

Anonymous said...

Great report, great run.

Its interesting how different approaches can get runners to the same goal. Its important to figure out what works/doesn't work personally and tailor it, which is what you have done.
I absolutely believe that I wouldn't have done my PB's without intense speedwork then...but I was much younger and the body could take it. These days I can hardly do any speedwork at all, so trying to run a bit longer and more MP.

I think the general lesson out there for those who keep knocking on the door, is to be open to change... there is no 'one recipe'in this marathon game, as us oldies have found out!

If anything is constant, it is endurance, and that comes through consistency more than anything,(and speedwork can be a bad actor here), which has been a huge factor in your success.

cheers...you know who.

Superflake said...

A great run Ray. Absolutely thrilled for you. Fantastic!

Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations Eagle. That is a fantastic result. I never got around to subscribing to your blog (that's about to change), but have been aware of your goal to go sub three again ever since the early days after I joined cool running, four or five years ago. It has been a long time coming, but richly deserved. I really admire your methodical and rational approach to training and very much believe in the philosophy that you outlined in your post. I like to get out and do occasional phases of speedwork, but my current feeling is that it is best done between marathon cycles. Good luck with your future goals!
Steve

Unknown said...

I couldn't be happier if I'd run that time myself!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy....well done, young man!

26miles said...

Fantastic result Ray.
Don't anybody be fooled by Ray's "no speedwork" motto though,
140k per week at a solid pace more than makes up for it !

Samurai Running said...

Hey Eagle

I found a photo while surfing, I think it is the sub 3hr group and you're in there somewhere. Take a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk_five_0/680639956/in

nando said...

I have been following your progress with interest as another trying to get the sub 3. I know I'm going well in a race when I am in front of you :). Congratulations on making the sub 3, a terrific run, and I can't wait to see what else you achieve on the way to 100 marathons.

Jen said...

Congratulations again Ray!

Hamburglar said...

Eagle

As we spoke on Sat morning, I had a hunch that you were quietly confident of the sub 3.

A very determined, gutsy run - Well done! Very inspirational for us "younger" ones to really have a crack.

Congrats!

Ewen said...

Well done Ray! Sorry I didn't manage to catch up with you over the weekend.

Thanks for writing at length about your race. Very interesting that you ran it off no speedwork. In the past I've been guilty of doing too much speedwork at the wrong time of the year.

Have you read the Hadd document? It talks about a Lydiard-type build-up using heart-rate as a guide.

Good luck for the rest of the year. I hope the knee settles down and gives no further problems.

sook54 said...

Ray I am so impressed, firstly with the run, secondly with the determination and focus, and thirdly with your time calculation skills! Have you always been such a fine judge of time or does it only come with 80 marathons?

Zodelicious said...

Thanks for sharing this report. It gave me a lump in my throat to read that you have had a highlight of your running career at age 57. I wish you many more such hightlights in the years to come.

CR MIss Z

speedygeoff said...

Well done champ. And with Lydiard you can't go wrong.

Aussie Ultra Runner said...

Ray, just catching up with results, what a great performance. At this rate i'll only see you from behind later in the year, Kelvin