Monday, August 27, 2012

Shepparton Marathon : 3.37.21

I flew to Albury late Saturday and was able to visit Glennrown in daylight. For those who don't know that is where Ned Kelly was captured and the other three gang members killed. There is not that much to see but it does hold significance if you have an interest in Ned. The shops are a bit touristy. 


The start of the marathon was 8.00. It was crisp but after a few k's and with the sun shinning it soon became ideal running conditions. 

It is a double loop course. With a marathon in my legs from last weekend I was not sure how I would run. I did not know the course but still ran first loop strong and fully expected a massive slow down second time around. It really didn't happen 1.48/1.49 splits for a 3.37. Very happy with the about even splits and the overall time. If I was rested and tapered I might go quicker but that was about as quick as I could expect the way I was at the start line. 



After the run I spent some time at the museum at Benalla and some more Kelly.


My next marathon is Sydney and I have been thinking about how I would run it and so how I would prepare. Originally I had agreed to pace a runner to a sub 4 Boston qualifier. That is now happening at Melbourne. Then as Jane is running her 100th marathon and is the 4.30 bust driver I thought I might join her. BUT now I think I will start Sydney rested and tapered and see how close I can get to 3.30.

So training for the marathon will be almost wholly short high quality. I will see if I can increase  my speed a touch in the time I have that might get me closer to 3.30 than yesterday. A lot will depend on the weather as it was not a factor yesterday but could be a big factor in 3 weeks time. 


2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Nice back to back marathons! Hope you get under 3:30 at Sydney.
How about doing Boston? I plan to do it....

Ewen said...

Good marathon Ray. You must be strong with the pacing holding up like that. All the best for Sydney. Catch you in Melbourne (I'm doing the half).