Thursday, October 02, 2008

Weeks report : 02.10.08

Over the last few days it certainly feels like summer is here. The weather early has a very pleasant little chill but that soon goes as the sun peeps over the horizon. The mornings around the Bay have just been picture perfect and tempt me each day to get out and enjoy it even if the body is not really willing at the start.

The week in review :

Saturday: Fitzroy Falls Marathon 4.17.41
Very disappointed with the result but then again I probably had and expectation of under 4 that was not gong to be achieved with the recent running taken into account and the weather. One thing I took from it was that as it got very ugly after 30k I managed to run the lot, a bit slow but mentally I just kept driving the body on this occasion the mind was able to control what the body did.

I should say that this was my 98th marathon. Only 7 have been over 4 hours and 4 of those have been at this marathon. I think that is because it is always run the week following a marathon, the course is not that easy and the weather can be a huge factor.

Sunday: No run

Monday: No run

Tuesday:
Was tempted to enjoy the just perfect weather and so went out intending to just have a pleasant walk. But felt very good so went for 6k @ 4.25 per k. It felt firm but manageable - that just should not happen 3 days after a marathon.

Wednesday:
Meet up with JD for a lap. We have done this so many times but I always enjoy his company. A slick 32.36 @ 4.40 and I am sure we both could have gone faster but we will leave that for another day.

Thursday:
I am not sure what I should be doing at the moment - recovery from FF Marathon, a taper for the Melbourne Marathon in a week or so or just some long slow stuff for GNW. Today I thought 2 solid laps of the Bay would be good although I was not sure where it fitted into the picture. Managed 33.21 + 33.12 @ 4.46 per k. It felt like I could have done that for much longer. I think it will do a benefit for Melbourne and maybe I will get that under 3.30 for a nice but not exciting time for the last marathon of the year.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Nice work again Ray and some awesome little sprint sessions there following the marathon. It was indeed a lovely morning today as I meandered around Balmain myself.

I'll be down at Melbourne too aiming for a sub 3hr 30min to break the PB.. would be good to see you again. Am currently pondering what GNW race to do? The safe 100km, or the darker 175km!

sook54 said...

Ray you are just amazing, congrats on your 98th marathon! Hope to see you round the Bay sometime after MM (I'm in NZ till then).

Rob said...

Whow! 98th Marathon. Melbourne No. 99. What are you gong to do for the 100th? Will that be the ultra GNW?

Ewen said...

It was good to see you briefly on Saturday Ray. Sadly our bus had to leave early and we only got to see the first few over the line in the marathon.

I can only imagine how hard the course was - the 10k was hard enough!

Hope to catch up again next weekend.