Sunday, October 12, 2008

Melbourne Marathon : 3.27.35

Well I didn't start with the 3.15 group as I reflected and thought that was not achievable. I had however said I thought 3.20 - 3.30 was the likely finish time. So I decided that despite the weather forcasting mid to high 20's that I woul drun at the edge on 3.20 pace until at least halfway and see what I felt like then.

I got to halfway in 1.40.40 and that was just about in pace. I felt good and thought I had a reasonable chance of maintaining that pace or close to it to the finish. However the cloud cover had gone, it was getting warn and a strong wind was up and in my face. It was a strength run from 24k to 35k into the wind.

I pushed on but the k's quickly turned from 4.40's to 5.10's but I was able with an increased effort to maintain that pace. Going up St Kilda Road was out of the wind and into the shade but it is a cruel 4k slog up hill.

I managed solid 1.46 return half and was pleased that I did not bled more time and felt strong all the way but fatigued in the last few k's. Not as fast as the last few Melbourne's but about where I thought I would be when all year I have been slower than last years times.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Well done Ray, a great finish to the season. Looking forward to the GNW 175km now!

trailblazer777 said...

well done! looks like you held it together better in the second half than many others! I met one CR who did 1.33 or something in the first half, and well over 2 hours in the second half...

Ewen said...

LLs was pleased you ran with her for a while.

It was hot! Sub 3:30 is still respectable. I'm looking forward to reading about your next (BIG) one.