Monday, October 20, 2008

Reflections and the future

It's not my usual to reflect too much on the past year but sitting on 99 marathons I thought I might indulge myself.

My initial impression of 2009 and the 12 marathons was one of disappointment but that might be a bit tough in the circumstances. I was training well for Canberra and then a stress fracture in late December stopped any running for 8 weeks and despite an effort to 'catch up', being ill the night before and missing the start all resulted in a 3.17 gun time. I didn't run over the timing mat when I started.

In mid June I managed a 3.06 and McLeay River and thought the best was to come. However an ankle injury before Gold Coast interfered with the preparation and the run and a slow run resulted. After that I tend to move away from speed and focus much more endurance for the ultra's later in the year. That and the persist ant ankle injury resulted in some very average and quite frankly disappointing times.

The injury persisted and the time remained disappointing all through the second half of the year with a 3.27 at Melbourne. After Melbourne I think I now have had the cause of the problem accurately diagnosed and treatment is progressing with what will eventually be a full recovery to injury free running.

I did get one monkey off my back in September by finishing the Glasshouse 100 miles without getting lost this year. It was never going to be fast with the ankle and I was just pleased and relived to have not become last and to finish under the cut off. Getting that finishers medal was such a relief. It is always a pleasure to come back a finish off uncompleted business. That year wait is never easy.

The future:

Well off course GNW 100 in a few weeks. This event always gets me excited and I am looking forward to it perhaps as the highlight of the running year for me. On reflection there really has been no other memorable running experiences for me so far this year. As usual the only aim is to finish in about 34 hours 45 minutes. Bring it on I say !!!!

I was seriously thinking about C2K and have a crew. I am giving that a serious thought as I just cannot see that being done and the fully recovering to be able to have a full 16 weeks proper training for Canberra and Gold Coast later in the year. Yeah you say there is time and I say yest true but not enough to train up fully. At the moment I think I will be a DNS.

I have a young running buddy who I have run quite a few marathons with this year and have been delighted to see his PB improve by about 20 minutes. He has paid me the greatest complement by asking me to guide him in his training for Canberra. I plan to do will enjoy the challenge but I think I would enjoy joining him in the preparation more that I would gain from the satisfaction of running to the top of Kozi. I think I would enjoy the 4/5 months of solid training with all the focus being on Canberra and then on the day the tension of the run not knowing if that sub 3 will come or not. I think that is the thrill I will now look to and leave C2K until another year.

And next year in June I turn 60. That is not pleasant as no one wants to get old particularly when you are old and getting older. However if I continue to put running challenges in front of me and do my best to meet them, irrespective of whether they are meet or not I might just feel much younger at heart. That is never let the calender age control you thoughts and actions - do what you feel like and you might just feel much younger that you actually are.

I hope next years 60 is the new 40 well 50 at worst.

7 comments:

Ewen said...

So Canberra will be your 100th? That'll be fantastic, especially if you can crack the 3 hours again.

For you it's the new 40 Ray - how many 40-year-old runners can run a 3 hour marathon?

Good luck at GNW, and the training for Canberra.

Tesso said...

Thanks for sharing those thoughts Ray.

They tell me 50 is the new 25, so if 60 is the new 50 then doesn't that really mean 60 is the new 25 :)

Samurai Running said...

That last paragaph nailed it Eagle, just keep setting those goals, I couldn't agree more.

After seeing what you have been able to achieve in the last few years I no longer think getting old is such a bad thing.

You're an inspiration.

PS don't forget to use moisturiser every morning and night, and sleep in an oxygen tent if possible ;)

Dan said...

Looking forward to catching up with you at the GNW100 Ray - since moving to Australia and stumbling across your blog and then meeting you, you're on of the drivers that has made me look to achieve bigger and better things. Seeing you turn up week in week out for marathons pushed me harder and made me realise the kind of levels I need to aspire to. Canberra will be my one year anniversary to marathon running, and I look forward to congratulating you on number 100 at the end.

plu said...

Good to talk to you at SMC. It is good to have time to reflect and prepare for both milestones.

cheers Plu

Anonymous said...

it is always an inspiration reading your blog Ray.
i'm 47 this year you give me hope i have a good few years of running left.
i hope to get to Canberra next year as well.

Anonymous said...

Love your work, Ray. Hopefully we can meet up at Canberra next year. Keep on aiming for those goals.