Sunday, October 09, 2005

Melbourne Marathon : 3.17.29

Stayed with Auntie Karin and Truckie - very pleasant meal on Saturday night. Then a pleasant walk out along St Kilda Pier in a strong cold wind and a gelato to finish then night off. We all had a good nights sleep and woke up ready for the challenge.
Looked out the window and was pleased to see it was dry but the sky was covered in cloud, rain was possible and there was some wind about.
The bus trip went quickly sitting up the back and talking to MPHaz. It was wet windy and cold waiting for the start and so we walked along the shops at Frankston to kill time. Then before we knew it it was time to strip down and head to the start.
I thought a finish between 3.15 - 3.20 was likely according to what I assessed my fitness to be and if all went without an unforseen problem. I also wanted to run this with as even splits as possible and not to become so fatigued near the end that walking was thought about let alone resrted t as a necesity.
This meant running just over 23 minutes for each k. Started off with Truckie and we held this pace until 28k - I then continued to hold it to the end and the Truck slowed a little. We were running side by side up until this time - I sensed that our pace was just starting to slow and I felt comfortable. I knew Truckie was hoping for 3.20 and we were on pace but it needed to be maintained. So I moved in front of him and I can say I never looked back from there to the finish. He could have beed right behind me all the way and I was hoping he was. I knew that at that about 28k one of us needed to push on and that is sometimes hard to do running side by side you need someone to pull you along with that piece of string by being in front.
Ran the first half in 98.15 so then it was a matter of how much I would slow. At about 28 I dug deep and increased the effort but that was only to be able to maintian the pace but that was fine. Second half split 99.15. Very very pleased with then 98.15/99.15 splits considering the second half has more hills than the first and is more exposed to the wind.
Ran the whole second half stronly and in fact the last two 5k 's were the faster 2 of the race except the first. So even though the second hald was marginally slower it felt strong and that gives me great hope for 2006 where I would love to run some special time. 3.17 is fine but I belive I still have a sub 3 in me I must get get the timing of the prepartion right. For Canbera this year I peaked too soon and could not hold it for the race. There will be no such error of judgement in 2006.
A steady base will be maintained and then an intense 8 weeks training and 2 week taper - 10 weeks in all. So no serious serious training until mid/late Janaury.

2 comments:

Horrie said...

Great run on Sunday in your 70th Ray. You showed that you are on your way back. Great even pacing in tough conditions.

Robert Song said...

Nice run. All the best in cutting it down to sub-3hour. Preparation is certainly the key.