Saturday, October 15, 2005

Fitzroy Falls Marathon : 3.51/52

Second marathon in 6 days so I knew going out hard would cause a huge meltdown in the later parts. Expected my best would no better than 4 hours which would come from a steady first half in about 1.55 and maybe a 2.05 in the second half which is a bit tougher than the first half. Between 25/30 k there is an out and back section with a long down hill and the steep rise a definitely takes something out of the legs. Leaves them quite drained for the flatish push for home in the last 12 k.

Ran then first half feeling fatigued but controlled the pace and ran through in 1.54.31 - so very pleased that all I had to do was hold on. Up to about 23k I ran with BrotherEagle and another CR running his first marathon. On the way up to hill to the 25mark I thought I could increase the intensity but I knew that at best would only maintain the pace but I felt both my running partners were slowing a bit.

Pushed very hard from 25/30 (5k split 28.00.16 yest down to the hundreths) down the hill and worked very very hard on the way up - was determined I would run the hills. Got to the top of the hill feeling okay but then needed to work very very hard on reasonably level running.

Ran through 25k in 2.16 and thought I only need to maintain 30 minute 5ks to give myself a chance of 4.00 hours. By this time was runnning alone but then passed a number of runners slowing between 30/35 - pushed on feeling really strong and just waiting for the wheels to wobble. Ran 30/35 k in 27.10 . No wobble in that stretch but suspected it would come soon as I had in fact speeded up or maybe there were less hills.

Ran 35/40 very hard with a drink station stop and pit stop - split an icredible 28.00.16 - exactly the same to the hundreth of the second to the one before. Reached 40k in 3.39.38 and realied that a sub 4 was in the bag against all expectation - got in about 3.51/52 - forgot to switch off the watch.

Don't normally bore with full splits but on this occassion I will.

94.31 first half and about 96.30 + a bit on the way back.

5K splits are as follows :
25.55 : too fast but no matter what your thoughts are this usually happens
26.01 : trying to get back to 28 minute 5 k pace which was the aim
28.00.16 : yes at last
28.28 : ?? wheels starting to wobble
28.03 : no wobble yet
28.00.16 : ?? still no wobble
27.10 : maybe it won't happen
28.00.16 : where did it go????

As always pleased with even pacing which is difficult on this course as it undulates quite a lot. Expect a quiet week and Brindabella 55k is a possibilty and my first ultra.

3 comments:

Robert Song said...

Two marathons in a week!!!

After the top effort in Melbourne, I am in awe of your durability and endurance to front up again and do so well.

Spud said...

Good run Ray, better time than last year, might see you at Brindy.

Horrie said...

Great run again Ray. To back up 6 days after Melbourne was beyond me. You continue to be an inspiration for many.